Quantcast

Evaporation and low dkh?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

DonW

R.I.P.
Since the time weather has gotten hot, my evaporattion rate is up to 5.5 gallons per day. All the low dkh ro water is dropping my tank dkh, I think. I drip kalk (2tsp per gallon) only at night. Day time ph is 8.3 with no kalk. CA reactor runs 24/7 60-dpm 54 dkh.

This morning:

CA 480
Alk 6.5
SG 1.025
PH 8.3

Should I add baking soda? If so how much per gallon? What brand do you suggest? Will turning up the CA reactor raise just dkh, I dont want CA to go any higher? I really dont want to buy expensive buffers or the B part of a two part additive.

Thanks
Don

NaH2O

Don, I agree with your assessment as to why you are having alk problems. Definately, need to get your chemistry in balance, and I wouldn't want your calcium increased anymore either.

The following recipes are taken from the following article. Check out the article for full recipe information. The quotes are specifically for Alk. A Homemade Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Additive System

Recipe #1 is for use in aquaria where the pH is normal to low.
Spread baking soda (594 grams or about 2 1/4 cups) on a baking tray and heat in an ordinary oven at 300 °F for 1 hour to drive off water and carbon dioxide. Dissolve the residual solid in enough water to make 1 gallon total. This dissolution may require a fair amount of mixing. Warming it speeds the dissolution process. This solution will contain about 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity (5,300 dKH). I prefer to use baked baking soda rather than washing soda in this recipe as baking soda from a grocery store is always food grade, while washing soda may not have the same purity requirements. Arm & Hammer brand is a fine choice.
Recipe #2 is for use in aquaria where the pH is on the high side (above 8.3 or so).
Dissolve 297 grams of baking soda (about 1 1/8 cups) in enough water to make 1 gallon total. This dissolution may require a fair amount of mixing. Warming it speeds the dissolution process. This solution will contain about 950 meq/L of alkalinity (2660 dKH). Arm & Hammer brand is a fine choice of baking soda brand.

These two solutions are added as frequently as necessary to maintain calcium and alkalinity. In some light to medium demand aquaria, you may not need daily additions, especially for calcium. Nevertheless, unless testing shows that you should do otherwise, add equal amounts of Parts 1 and 2 over the course of a week.

Illusion

I use a 6-1 Ratio for raising my Alk.. I have too noticed that my alk is falling lately and have been wondering why... I think I finally got it back under control at 10.9 DKH.. My receipe I use is

A & H Baking Soda 6 tbsp
A & H Washing Soda 1 tbsp

I put it into a container and Mix it up real well... I then add 1 tbsp per 20g of water to Raise DKH by 1.. I always try to undershoot then get it exact.. I figure my tank is about 70g total so I add 2 tbsp..

HTH,
James

reedman

James,

Do you bake the Sodas in the oven like the article calls for or do you just mx and go?

Thanks,
-Reed

Illusion

I just mix and go... I havent noticed any issues.. I cant remember where I got my Receipe but I am thinking it was from Randy Holmes Farley on RC... Been doing it for over a year as needed which isnt much.. just when i need to raise DKH in usually the WC water by a point or 2.. And now since my dkh seemed to have dropped... I have started to retune my Ca reactor to see if maybe it got misadjusted after I changed the Feed method into it... I set the DPM and BPM back the same but it still was dropping so I started over again LOL..

James

Illusion

In baking it could it be baked together as the 6-1 mix or should the BS me baked and then Ws added to that?

TIA,
James

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
No the best way is to mix and then spread it out on a cookie tray for one hour at 250F. Well at least thats the way I did it.

Mike

Illusion

Thanks Mike.. The mix is now going into the Oven.. If its better to bake then Why not LOL... I just didnt want to toss all my Premix that I had If it had to be baked seperately..

Thanks again,
James

cookiemn

Chicago bound!!!
Since we are sharing recipes, my wife has a killer chocolate chip recipe. :)

On the more serious side, how long can you add baking soda without suffering any after effects?

reedman

My understanding is that the contents of the 6:1 ratio baked is the same as the stuff you buy at the fish stores, just a whole lot less expensive. I wouldn't think there are any long term effects.

I'll wait for the more knowledgeble though.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts