Quantcast

Evil Flame Angel

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

johnehr

Ignorant and Oblivious
One of my brains has been looking bad. I've noticed his white ribs poking through some of his outer covering (whatever you call it). I just saw my flame angel pick at it. That evil fish!!!

I also have a toadstool leather that just closed up (he's still innocent until proven guilty). Is there anything I can do except for removing the fish or the corals?
-
John

gobie

dave the gobie
All Angels Are Notorious For Picking It Their Nature. I Had Wonderful Xenia All Over The Back Wall Of My 55 Til I Bought A Coral Beauty. Lets Just Say I Dinn't Have To Worry About Keeping It In Check. Now If The Find Somthing They Like By The Time You Will Notice It Might Be Too Late.

johnehr

Ignorant and Oblivious
If fish pick at things so much why doesnt someone make some type of brick of food or something that they love. Therefore, whenever they have the urge to pick at something, their fabulously tasting fake xenia brick or whatever is waiting for them...

gobie

dave the gobie
good question, but if you watch your angel. it picks at everything trying to find a good meal. most times its just testing the waters. remember all fish are oppertunists.
now if some one made a block would you really want to place it in your reef, just sitting there. that would belike making sure there was always a cube of food around fouling up the water.

cheeks69

Dwarf Angels are grazers by nature so they will nip constantly even corals and may develop a taste for them but usually they just irritate the coral. I have had many Dwarfs and only one was a problem a bi-color, just loved to nip the zoo's :( Had to get rid of him.

"The main component of the diet for most dwarf angels is algae and detritus. However, they will consume coral polyps, coral slime, sponges, small invertebrates, and feces from other fish. In some species, up to 50% of their stomach is filled with sand that they have picked up while feeding on detritus (DeLoach, 1999)."

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-02/hcs3/index.htm

DonW

R.I.P.
johnehr said:
One of my brains has been looking bad. I've noticed his white ribs poking through some of his outer covering (whatever you call it). I just saw my flame angel pick at it. That evil fish!!!
John
Sounds like time for a fish trap. Keep an eye on your brain. If the skeleton is showing he could be dieing and polluting your tank. Does it still puff up and eat?

Don

johnehr

Ignorant and Oblivious
Could I cover the brain with the strawberry/blueberry green basket? Or would the brain most likely be hurt by puffing out through the plastic grid?

gobie

dave the gobie
This Is Still Not Going To Get To The Bottem Of Your Problem The Flame Angel. This Would Only Delay The Inevetable Remove The Fish And The Problem Goes Away.

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
Yeah you pretty much have to pick the coral or the fish. The coral may heal, but eventually it will get nipped again.

I found the nipping issue subsided somewhat after I kept the fish well fed, to the point of being overfed probably. I kept algae on a clip in the tank for the fish to graze on .. but it still would pick at corals randomly but less often. My main issue was it picking at the mantels of my clams, it did stop doing that but kept nipping at all of the soft corals.

I only keep animals with mine it won't eat, like anemones, leathers, and mushrooms.

wrightme43

I have a bicolor angel that I love he caused me to remove all meaty corals from my tank. My brother ended up with free brains. LOL it made him happy any way. LOL. Sorry about your fish, like they said, either pick the coral or the fish. I liked the fish to much to worry about the coral. Steve

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts