Quantcast

featherduster care

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

sharkbaitx2

A quick question regarding the care of a featherduster. I thought that I was somewhat informed regarding their care but when presented with this new gift item that's neutrally buoyant I faced another dilemma. Because of his weightlessness - is a portion of his tube buried in the substrate or left exposed? Does it depend upon the other inhabitants? Or is the majority os his body buried? When viewed at a LFS, their substrate is thin and these guys(or girls) are all lying about on the surface. Please help as I can't find any written material on the matter. Thanks.

Montanarocknreefer

New Sheriff In Town
If you can find a nice hole about the size of the tube then put the tube down the hole and make sure it feels secure and the worm will be a happy camper and have some moderate current flowing around the worm.:)

The R/C Man

Hey!

I stuck mine in the sand. He seems to be happy and is growing nicely. From what I understand they will use the sand to construct their tubes. If you ever have to do an overhaul on the tank you can gently remove him. I had one attached to two rocks and had to do a tank change. The only way to get the rocks out was to cut its tube at the base. He only lived for a short time after that. Also be sure to add live DT's for food. Good luck...

sharkbaitx2

Greg - thanks for the useful information - but I'm not familiar with
"live DT's" for food. could you spell it out for me, I'm not at my sharpest tonight. Again, many thanks.

The R/C Man

No problem!!!

It is marine phytoplankton. It comes in bottles that are kept in the fridge. It is food for clams, soft corals, some stony corals, feather dusters etc. My derasa clam has added approximately 1 1/2" to its size since November and my small purple feather duster has almost doubled in size. Of course this wasn't due to the phytoplankton alone. I believe it has more of an effect on their color. Which both have great colors. (someone jump in if I am stretching here) I have also read that phytoplangton competes for the same nutrients as cynobacteria. I have not had an outbreak since I have started adding it. I don't believe there has been to much study on its effects with or without it but my tank looks great so I'll keep adding it. Toot toot..... ( that's me honking my own horn) LOL :) Hope my babbling helps...

The R/C Man

Oh, about not being the sharpest...... With work and my biology class my brain has been on overload the last few weeks. I have been having trouble just trying to speak in cohesive sentences. Only two more weeks of class left!! Yeah!!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.