Quantcast

Feed RBTA with silver fish

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

fengzhu

I bought a small bag of Silver Fish (as what's on the bag label) from Ranch 99 this morning and feed half of a fish to my RBTA. I heard from Matt before that I should feed it with Silversides, but that Silver Fish looks like Silversides and the anemone swallowed it in 5 minutes with love, so I guess maybe it IS silversides. If so, then it's really cheap, 2$ for about 50 fishs, enough to feed the anemone for about one year ( I plan to feed it one fish per week).
Attached images show how the RBTA swallowed the fish, I never imagined such a small mouth can eat such a long fish. :)

Last edited:

mattseattle

nice!!! also make sure to watch tomorrow and see if it spits any of the fish out. if it does then you fed it too large of a piece so cut back on the portion size. if not then you are good to go. you can feed your anemone every other day if you really want it to grow. also i heard if you feed it every other day for a few weeks then just stop feeding it that sometimes it'll split.

fengzhu

This morning it expelled some scales of the fish, much less poop than after eating shrimp, even though the eaten shrimp is much smaller then the feeded fish. The other difference is, it did NOT shrink to expel its poop, just extended as usual. It may prove that Silver fish is better than shrimp for anemone. :)

And now it's diameter is about 9'', the largest after I got it.

Thanks Matt for your suggestion and the link you gave for Reef Central.

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
I think fish are definitely better than shrimp for them in the long run. Some of what is in the shell may be beneficial, but I think they expel most of it. I've found the smaller I cut up the fish the less they expel; my anemones rarely expel any waste unless I really over feed them.

Awesome pic, btw.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.