Quantcast

Fish in tank and skimmers.

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

davidborning

What skimmer is your preffered favorite? I just got a used Berlin Classic for my 50 gallon. that makes foam about half the time since it's been set up (only 5 days now). I was talking around and heard of the Reef Devil and the Evolution 500 and thought they sounded a bit nicer than my own right now :)

Saltwater City said that if I wanted to keep the amount of fish I wanted to have I'd need a better skimmer. I want to have a school of chromis (not sure how many 5 to 6) or some dottybacks (my gf wants the dottybacks but we already have one chromis and I want a school :(), mated common clowns, a wrass, and a (show fish) yellow tank or dwarf butterfly or something. One person said we should only have one chromis in our 50 gallon acrylic (36" x 15" x 18.5' high) but we want to have more then one fish in our reef.

Any thoughts on the fish ammount / skimmer we should have?

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
davidborning said:
What skimmer is your preffered favorite? I just got a used Berlin Classic for my 50 gallon.
I am partial to EuroReefs (I have ES6-2+), but if you want to pay a little less I would suggest AquaC, ASM (smallest one they make is recomended for 100gal though) or maybe even a TurboFloater (Aquamedic). As for as the ETS they are great too, but not sure if they make one that small, but overkill can't hurt. Not like you can overskim a FOWLR.

-Erik

dnjan

alveopora
Sounds like a lot of fish for 50 gal, but ...

Berlins can be a bit fussy to dial in. They really like constant water level (some sort of auto-topoff in sump). They are really best if over-powered a bit (with the pump), air valve full open, and then tune it by reducing the water flow (gate valve is much better for this than a ball valve) until the foam is drier.

I run mine with a SEN700. I have heard of people also using a mag 7 or larger. RIO1700 is too small, RIO2100 just barely enough, depending upon your plumbing.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts