Quantcast

Fishcams?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

iamjosh

So while I'm away I use a Webcam (D-Link DCS-1000).

Curious if anyone else has these kinda setups. Its not focused very well tonight (I'm away from home). Its not a colorful tank anyway, on my new tank I think I want a better cam depending on how well this one works when I tune it all in on the new tank.

Anyway its a FOWLR tank. Right now its low on livestock.
Clown Fish - Nemo
Royal Grama - Veronica
Coris Wresse - The Yellow Dart.

Fishcam or Photos.

Also do you name your fish, if so lets hear names.

If its slow to many people may be on.

Thanks,
-josh

NaH2O

Josh, that is awesome! I saw The Yellow Dart and Veronica - very exciting....nice way to feel like your home when you aren't. Also, will let you know if there are issues. I love to name fish....my daughter named a clownfish pair Ernie and Bert. She won't get too many chances at naming fish though, we are digressing to names like "Boo-boo" and "Silly head"..... I have a feeling things will get worse :D

iamjosh

Added some more livestock.

Can't remember what I got, Kevin little help?

Hmm...

Its a Yellow looking tank w/ a blue stripe
Also Added a something Gobie (it sifts the sand, kinda bounces arround)

Check it out... Fishcam

If you have problems let me know.

-josh

iamjosh

All in all not too difficult, thought I do computer & networking for a living..

I have High Speed internet @ home, I had a static IP address for my home router so it was a hope skip and a jump..

Steps:
---
1.) Have High Speed Internet @ Home
2.) Get a static IP Address
3.) Setup router to allow pass through from the router to the cam.
4.) Setup my website to point to the Static Address

I have a DLink Router and a Dlink Camera and that helped too.

If you can get a static address that's half the battle.. the rest is pretty simple, Dlink offers easy instructions, and i believe free phone support.

Get the static and drop me a line if you need more help.

iamjosh

Right now the cam looks pretty bad cause i bumped it so the color is really off, I'm hanging a temp MH lighting setup tonight hopefully so I'll try and adjust the cam after that. FYI

cookiemn

Chicago bound!!!
Josh,
I tried accessing your link and the camera didn't show anything. I just got a grey screen in the middle of a box. BTW, nice pic if you go to your main site. ;)

Erwin

iamjosh

hehe.. if you get the gray box it may mean java isn't working on your computer.

sometimes though it takes a moment to load and get a solid stream coming from the cam you might try waiting for a moment ..

or if thatdoesn't work I go to www.java.com and click "get it now"

yeah took the site down for major changes haven't gotten to them yet so i put up a nice picture ;-)

-josh

Sealab2021

Puffer
iamjosh~

so you have cable (for internet)right? Does comcast provide a static IP address to you when you get the cable? Can you get more than 1 static IP address from them? IF sodo you have to buy them in blocks of 8 or more? how much is each static ip?

iamjosh

Actually I have a wireless Signal, the static didn't cost me any extra and the setup didn't cost me anything..I would guess you could purchase static from comcast, though I'm not sure if you could get more then one though.

Why would you want more then one address? maybe i can help you work arround only having 1 IP.

-josh

Sealab2021

Puffer
iamjosh said:
Actually I have a wireless Signal, the static didn't cost me any extra and the setup didn't cost me anything..I would guess you could purchase static from comcast, though I'm not sure if you could get more then one though.

Why would you want more then one address? maybe i can help you work arround only having 1 IP.

-josh
I'd like to host 2 or 3 dns and 2 websites on the same line.

iamjosh

Ahh, That kinda asking for trouble, with hosting prices as low as they are, its much easier to find a cheap host. With the cost you'd buy the statics..

Though with cool servers and or routers you could just use 1 IP and dirrect via Host Headers.

-josh

Sealab2021

Puffer
but with say speakeasy w/ 4 ip address for 49amonth, that's way cheaper than $5 a month per dns host (which is the cheapest i can find) and another $5-10 a month per .com to host.

do you host your own dns?

iamjosh

hmm I guess I just find local ISPs and have them do dns for me, though I generally have my stuff hosted with them anyway.. I was think when you figure in your time and effort to keep your system running 24/7 to be a server, the elecritcty, and then fixing and patching for the latest whatever, and then backing ups, UPSes, and all that it would be cheaper.. but I like having all those things and the patching almost daily drives me nuts if I hafta over see it. just my 2 cents.

Sealab2021

Puffer
iamjosh said:
hmm I guess I just find local ISPs and have them do dns for me, though I generally have my stuff hosted with them anyway.. I was think when you figure in your time and effort to keep your system running 24/7 to be a server, the elecritcty, and then fixing and patching for the latest whatever, and then backing ups, UPSes, and all that it would be cheaper.. but I like having all those things and the patching almost daily drives me nuts if I hafta over see it. just my 2 cents.
you should host it all yourself, it's so easy. dns takes just minutes to set up and the server maybe an hour. I guess the main reason i prefer to host my own is I run questionable content sites (inebriate related) and i prefer to do cc# transcations myself.

electricity: my machine is on 24/7 anyway

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.