Quantcast

Flat worms...time is now 540 pm Sunday..Just nuked tank with FWE

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I have read up on Flat Worm Exit. I just Nuked my tank with it. I have a lot of Live Rock. I estimated about 60 gallons of water total. I dosed one drop per gallon. details later..:confused:

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I have lettuce nudibraches I was concerned with them being hurt. They are still eating. I did not see any flatworms before dosing. I want to make sure they are gone. I see no effects in the first hour of dosing.

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
I have never heard of tremendous problems with most flatworms with the exception of red planaria flatworms. Unfortunately, those are a pain because if you add lighting plus organics, they can reproduce by mere fission and can can put bunnies to shame.

If you scroll down to the 3/05/03 post by Mike Norens on this link, you'll see the nasty ones.

I hope I never get a bad infestation. For about 9 or 10 months in 2003, I didn't buy a single coral from a LFS in St. Louis because every single store was overrun by them.

Using their regenerative abilities, I created a 5 headed and 8 tailed planaria in Junior High, and I figure I'm high on the retribution list so I proceed with caution LOL!!!

NaH2O

they can reproduce by mere fission and can can put bunnies to shame.
Hey, was that can can remark making fun of my locline again?

Using their regenerative abilities, I created a 5 headed and 8 tailed planaria in Junior High, and I figure I'm high on the retribution list so I proceed with caution LOL!!!
Well, I guess that's it....I'm doomed! Planaria will get their revenge with me, too!

Ed,

Did you have a flatworm problem? If you have a large population, be sure to siphon up as many as you can after dosing.

Elmo18

Clownfish
NaH2O said:
If you have a large population, be sure to siphon up as many as you can after dosing.
I second this. FWE isn't what will nuke your tank, its the dead decaying flatworms that will. Have new water ready...suck up as many as you can.

- Elmo

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I did not see any before I used FWE today. I bought a spotted Mandarin the day I found them in my tank. The addition of the mandarin made the few flatworms I had hide. I am concerned how long to leave this in my tank. I see no change in animals as of yet. I was concerned with my branching hammer and other hammer. They are fully extended at this moment. Galaxia still has waving feelers out. My yellow leather is still extending to feed. My waving anthellia is still extended. My star polyps yellow and brown still extended. all of my corals look good at this point. My mandarin is singing Jimmy Cricket songs...I gotcha...lmao...everything is doing good so far.

Doug1

IF you don't have a planaria infestation, why would you dose with Flatworm Exit?
Just curious. From others experience it does work on infestation, but as mentioned dying FW release toxins, siphon the corpses fast and furious and have plenty of water ready for water changes.

MzWeazelle

Maybe your Mandarin took care of the flatworms? I did have some in my tank - I noticed them on a few of my mushrooms - but they disappeared months ago. I asked at my LFS and they said it was possible my mandarin ate them all. :)

MzWeazelle

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I like trading corals with friends. I wanted to make sure I did not give any to any friends. It was a insurance policy for me.

Doug1

I didn't mean to come off as a hard nose, just curious why the chem treatment in the absence of a problem.
FWIW FW dip will usually deal with them, and setting up a frag tank for ingoing and outgoing is not a bad idea if your into trading alot. Q in and out is not a bad policy :D

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
Doug or anyone else, It will take a freight train to upset me. I am sorry if I come off sounding that way. I worry about upsetting other people on here. If you see me I am often learning from you or others. I love to joke. I can take a punch if you throw one. I like to think so anyway. I have taken a class where I learned its not what happens to you but how you react to it that decides the out come. Lord knows I have been hit in the head enough. Did they hit me in the head on purpose.. Hell yes, I use to Box. Did I learn anything. Well maybe I should have kept my hands up more. But I learned they wanted me to be upset to break my consentration. I feel no ones wins a argument. Someone usually gets hurt when you call a name. I do not want to hurt anyone or be hurt. Doug if you ever want to share a smile you come to right place. Here is one for ya Buddy.

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I did get that Q tank idea. I appreciate it. Thats a very good idea. I have a US aquariums skimmer sitting around. I may have to put it to use on a smaller tank. Thanks Doug, I am learning maybe not fast but I am learning.

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
hello Elmo,
I do not see any change in my tank at all. I will leave it in for a few more days. I put 60 drops in the first day, Monday I put in another 30 drops. I did not see any die off like I heard of. I had previously heard of them dying and releasing toxin doing damage to other tank mates. I was just watching my mandarin eat. I must of had very little flatworms I have been watching this close since Sunday nite. My friend came over last night and we both looked hard for any sign of damage. We saw nothing yet. My lettuce nudibrach is still doing good. My snails look good. I did find a new snail I may have to take pix of. I think I did not have enough flatworms for toxin to be a problem. I got really lucky so far. I hope the worst is over.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.