Quantcast

Flow Flow Flow

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
So I designed my 280 gal tank to be a bare bottom with an significant amount of flow to keep waste suspended in the water column for extraction.

At any given time 4 of 14 outlets are being fed by a Dolphin 3600 through an 8-way oceans motions wavemaker. Many of those outlets have an additional loc-line Y on them and the output routine is line 1&5,2&6, 3&7,4&8.
http://www.oceansmotions.com/

This plumbing plan has been entirely successful so here's the problem! It works too well.. Particles are contstantly suspended in the water and take a very long time to make it into the overflow (coast to coast). This impacts my water clarity which is a peeve of mine. I have socks over my drains, a bag of carbon in a baffle so everything passes through it and a Fluval canister filter with nothing but carbon running after my refugium.

Any thoughts other than trying to alter the flow pattern to better enable things to get into the overflow? (My return pump is a mag12)

Oh and my skimmer is 6" diameter 6' high counter current skimmer moving about 300gph through it. I'd like to either build another one or get a venturi style but have no mas moolah poor favor..

big t

tankless
I think that the best thing that you could do is increase your turnover. Add another mag 12 or step up to a 24. That otta help a little. So I can't really remember you transfering into the new tank. I take it that you have? I would think that after a month or so that what is going to come out of the rocks will, but who knows? did you go w/ the coast to coast? If you did you could probably step up the turnover a lot more, and I would think that would be the best way to solve your problem.

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
I'm with ya Big t.. I just didn't want to spend another 100+ bones and up my power consumption. I also wanted to maintain a fairly slow flow rate over the refugium portion of my DIY sump.

I haven't transferred much to the new tank as I am waiting for it to brew for a while. The initial cycle completed several weeks ago. I did have a Flame Angel turn mantle nipper so had to move my 3 clams over which are under close watch. Thankfully they are doing even better in the bigger tank with the increased flow and more intense lighting.

The rocks cured with little to no light for 3 months :) Setting up the tank took allot longer than I anticipated, so the rock are cured thoroughly, but I think you are probably right on that.

big t

tankless
Well on a tank you size it may be worth the initial investment for a $250 ampmaster for a return pump and then you will only be drawing 1 amp for 3000gph. Cant really beat that

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Jay can you make the water flow work better?? as in have it so that it sends more of its flow towards the overflows?? DO you have a pic or drawing of how you have the direction of the flow going??

Mike

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
I thin I can probably aim some of the loclines to push the stuff up versus all over.

This pic with labeled outputs may help a bit to understand the flow. So each output with the exception of the spray bar are split two more ways into 3/4" outputs with Loclines. The flow pattern feeds 1&5,2&6, 3&7,4&8

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
shoot... I screwed up and failed to include the spray bar which are actually the seventh and eight output... I don't have time to change it now but if anyone has some feedback on change or things that they like lemme know.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts