Quantcast

Flow Rate in a 55g tank Help

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Illusion

Ok so here is my situation... I am currently running a Pcx40 (1190gph) and 2 MaxiJet 1200s in my 55g SPS reef tank... I have decided that this is not enough flow for my liking.. I currently have the pcx40 running thru all 3/4 pvc and returning into the back corners of the 55g and have the maxijet 1200s in ea of the front corners.. I really want to get rid of the powerheads as I hate the looks and they fall down too much... I have aquired an Ampmaster 3000 that I would like to replace the PCX 40 with and keep it all 3/4" pipe and split it off so there are returns in the front as well... so that the DP 3000 returns to all four coners pointing in the middle... My overflow should be able to handle the flow just fine... I was thinking Of using the PCX40 on a closed loop by setting up somewhat of a Spray bar type thing for the inlet of the pump and hiding it behind the Overflow... And having the Return from the PCX40 split into 4 outlets and dropping in at ea of the corners in the Center brace point directly at the Returns from the dp 3000 for a really chaotic flow... would this be too much in a 55g tank? Would I do more marm then good? Should I just replace the pcx40 with the dp3000 and forget about the closed loop system?? Please Help...

Goal - Rid tank of powerheads and provide as much flow as possible in the tank..

Equiptment to work with - Pcx40 and an Ampmaster3000

the pcx40 is IMO not enough flow for the tank... and the Tank is made of Tempered glass on all sides so drilling is not an Option...

Thanks again,
James

Angelscrx

Import Fish
I like this question too since I too have 55g but it is not tempered glass. I don't want to drill it as it will become my sump/refugium when I upgrade to a bigger tank. :D

Illusion

Well It ended up being an Ampmaster 3600.. My plans are to Reduce Both Input and Output to 3/4"to Reduce the flow some and Just use the Ampmaster on a closed Loop... I am going to split the output 6 ways to Cover the 4 Corners at the Center Brace and the 2 front corners on the Ends... I Guestimate that It will drop me down to about 2100gph or So Unless the 3/4" pipe really cuts the flow down... I am hoping to Get everything piped in within the next couple of Weeks...

I will let you all know how it Turns out..

Thanks again,
James

Angelscrx

Import Fish
Illusion said:
Well It ended up being an Ampmaster 3600.. My plans are to Reduce Both Input and Output to 3/4"to Reduce the flow some and Just use the Ampmaster on a closed Loop... I am going to split the output 6 ways to Cover the 4 Corners at the Center Brace and the 2 front corners on the Ends... I Guestimate that It will drop me down to about 2100gph or So Unless the 3/4" pipe really cuts the flow down... I am hoping to Get everything piped in within the next couple of Weeks...

I will let you all know how it Turns out..

Thanks again,
James
Please post pics as you work on it. Thanks

Illusion

I will post some pics... However I really wouldnt suggest trying to put an Ampmaster 3600 on a 55g tank LOL.. Im well what some would call a bit Crazy... I have decided to Use 1" PVC instead of 3/4" There isnt really much of a difference... All I need is the Parts (money :( ) and I will be starting it... Might be a few weeks or so before I can get some parts... But I will post pics of the setup..

Thanks again,
JAmes

Illusion

Ok So I went ahead and Figured out most of how I am going to Do It... Here is a Quick little Draw up that I kinda drew to help me remember how I plan on doing this whole setup... I am also looking for suggestions to this before I Start to Pipe it all together... The 4 inside Returns are going to be Pointed Towards the Opposite Corner... I plan to pipe it all together and Testing it before Gluing it all together... If it seems like too much flow I will probably just bag the Idea and just relax until I can get a bigger tank Suggestions Pleaseeeeee..

Thanks again,
James

Last edited:

Angelscrx

Import Fish
How about a spray bar across the back and two powerheads in the corners? How big of a pump would you need to get decent flow from the spray bar?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts