Quantcast

Flow Rate Q?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Darrell

I am adding new sump/Refuguim to 55gl.

A N D Lights,Stand,Canopy and closed loop when Allowance builds back up LOL

Now Anthony metoned that 10x flow rate would be efficant corect me if im wrong , So my 55 gl. should have 550 gl /hour through my new sump right ?
My question is if i have 550gl turn over throught my sump/refugium should my skimmer have equal ,less or greater volume just need to get the right size Skimmer and pump.Total system volume will be 80+ gl
Thanks Darrell

wanareef

reefer addict
Darrell said:
I am adding new sump/Refuguim to 55gl.

A N D Lights,Stand,Canopy and closed loop when Allowance builds back up LOL

Now Anthony metoned that 10x flow rate would be efficant corect me if im wrong , So my 55 gl. should have 550 gl /hour through my new sump right ?

Yes, he did mention 10x.

My question is if i have 550gl turn over throught my sump/refugium should my skimmer have equal ,less or greater volume just need to get the right size Skimmer and pump.Total system volume will be 80+ gl
Thanks Darrell

It's too hard to get that type of flow from the overflows/sump. This is best handled by either PH's, CL , Tunzes or other wave making device. For the skimmer , you size it to the total gallonage that you have.

Last edited:

szidls

Gaitor Wrestler
I believe your skimmer will run independent of the flow rate in the sump. It just needs to be able to handle the total water capacity of your system.:) ............Scott

big t

tankless
Anthony mentioned that he thought that greater flow rates were in order. He felt that 10x is just not enough really, and prefers it to be closer to 20x, If I am not mistaken.

DonW

R.I.P.
I dont think getting that type of water flow is a real problem for a 55g tank. Like you said 10x = 550gph but then you add liverock and a sand bed you displace a few gallons. A basic hang-on overflow (like i use) flows 650. Getting it back to the tank is the easy part. Your skimmer should be rated for the tank but a skimmer rated for just a 55 is probably to small. I just went through this with a cpr. I would probably get something rated closer to 150+. I truely believe skimmer makers fudge on there ratings. If you can get a skimmer that can flow about 550 gph, you in theory should be able to skim everthing that goes into the sump. Then add a closed loop rated at about 550 and you should be pushing about 20x. Going this route you can save alot of money and plumbing. Getting the needed 20x through the sump will be expensive and will shorten contact time to the skimmer.

Don

veralteaquatics

Design and Supplies
Flow rate.....anything from 6x to 10x would be the way to go, better to have more movement in the tank, ie closed type system; or powerheads than tons of turnover...and as the others have said, just get a skimmer that can handle at least the total gallons; beware of companies that over rate their skimmers though...like: berlin,seaclone,turbofloater and unfortunatly many others....Best of luck

HumblePie

Pico Ninja
A good question to ask is what do you plan to (or currently) house in the tank? If you are looking for corals (SPS in particular), more flow is better. Personally I have a 29g and am hooking up an Iwaki MD30RXLT (960gph @ 4'). The end result will be somewhere near 700gph (approx 25x flow). Remember, once your plumbing, etc. is taken into consideration it will probably be down to 70-80% of what your pump is rated for. Also, consider how your returns will be. A high flow rate may dictate diffusing it through a spray bar while lower flows may be done with straight returns.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.