Quantcast

Foamy Remora !

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Drummer

WOW...I bought some LR from Kevin at Aquatic Dreams on Tue. (nice kaelini !) for my new 75 gal set up. I plugged in the Remora and this afternoon, I come home from work to find all kinds of foam in the catcher after running for only 2 days. Doesn't it usually take longer to get the foam action going?

Kevin, if you see this note....the rock looks great ....Thanks !!

mattseattle

probably not - alot of stuff dying off from the rock and also letting go of the rock and entering the water. i'm sure there is also a bacteria bloom and all.

also, how high/low do you have the collection cup? if you have it as low as it goes you'll get alot of wet foam. i keep mine up about a 1/4" or so and i think that is the perfect blend of wet/dry foam.

mattseattle

you are talking about the tank water and not the skimmate?

i put uncured rock in my tank and i had a yellowish cast to my tank water for a few days. was your rock cured or uncured?

you can run carbon to clear the yellow out of the water if you want to try that.

kevinpo

Expert
Bill,
Two days is the typical break-in period for a new skimmer. I believe the rock you bought was uncured. Normally it takes me 21-28 days to cure up new rock (using a dual Beckett 1,600 GPH skimmer). Yellowing with new rock is a sign of a buildup of organic matter in the water column. A large water change (40-50%) will work wonders. After the water change run some carbon and the water will be much more clear. An additional large water change is recommended at about the 15 day mark.

Regards,
Kevin

Drummer

Yes, the rock was uncured. I will be doing a large water change tomorrow. You say to run carbon afterwards.....run it how? Buy a cartridge power filter? or ????

Thanks !

kevinpo

Expert
One of the most effective ways is to place carbon in a canister type filter. Any method that forces water through the carbon is prefferred over just hanging it in the tank.

Regards,
Kevin

Drummer

OK...I did a 40 % water change and put in a charcoal filter in a Seaclear 300. I'll give it a couple of days to settle down and then do another water test. The water is really clearing up but now the foam is gone from the Remora. Is this to be expected? I've got some crud laying on top of the sand now as well, but I expect that it is die off from the LR. The tank is sure looking good and I'll put up some pics in the near future. I'm keeping a photo journal of the tank so I can veiw the before....during.....and after....

Thanks for all the help Kevin !

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts