Quantcast

FOTW ~Amphiprion ocellaris~

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

NaH2O

It's everyone's favorite clown.....BOZO! Well, not really Bozo, and maybe not everyone's favorite.....but a popular one to say the least. Amphiprion ocellaris, also known as Ocellaris Clown, Ocellaris Anemonefish, False Percula Clownfish, False Clown Anemonefish, and False Percs.

These guys get to ~3.5 - 4 inches, and are found in the reef environment at a depth range of ~3.5 feet - ~49 feet (1-15m). Their distribution is the Indo-West Pacific: eastern Indian Ocean including Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Thailand, Malaysia, and northwest Australia to Singapore, Indonesia, and the Philippines; ranges northward to Taiwan and the Ryukyu Islands.
The Amphiprion ocellaris' morphology is as follows: Dorsal spines (total): 10-11 - differs from A. percula, which also has shorter dorsal spines in comparison to A. ocellaris; Dorsal soft rays (total): 13-17; Anal spines: 2; Anal soft rays: 11-13. Easily identified by the orange color and three white bands, the middle one widening forward to the head centrally. Caudal fin rounded. There is a population of black A. ocellaris found off of northern Australia, which is all black with white bands.

The Amphiprion ocellaris inhabits shallow and calm lagoons. One of the most popular marine aquarium fishes, and is captively bred in Florida for the aquarium trade. Some aquarists have success rearing them in captivity, as well. Associated with the anemones: Heteractis magnifica, Stichodactyla gigantea, and Stichodactyla mertensii.

Captive-raised specimens almost always do well in the aquarium. Can be kept in groups, but one fish will dominate and may pick on the others (especially if space and shelter are limited). Rarely aggressive toward other clownfish. Does fine without a host anemone.

Let's hear your experiences with these wonderful fish. What do you feed them, have they bred in your system, do they get along with others? If yours lives in something other than an anemone, please post what that is. Pictures are always a welcomed bonus, too!

reedman

Love these guys. Mine have taken to my..err...their candy cane coral for a host. Very bizarre, but the fish and coral both seem happy, so I guess you can't change love at first sight.

MtnDewMan

I have a pair 14 years and going strong ... I love these fish. My favorite ever !!! They get whatever they want. My avatar is the mommy :)

Can you tell I like these fish???? :)

BlennyBabe

Rachel
Here is my pair. The little one was added about 2 months ago. Since then Big Mama, named Bobo, has started cleaning the spaghetti worms off of the rock the anemone is on. The lil guy isnt even a male yet (at least I dont think so) but thats not stopping her. Its a yellow carpet that I nursed back to health.

uwscotch

I love these fish or is it maybe an obsession. I feed mine a mixture of Formula 1, 2, and Prime Reef. They eat any of the above, but really go for the Formula 1. My female is extremely aggressive to the other fish in my tank, the only one that will not put up with her sh*# is my Royal Gramma. She bosses around the male of course, but also my Coral Beauty and Green Chromis. They live in two Heteractis crispas that used to be fed weekly with "Ocean Plankton", but have not been fed for the last 6 months. They are housed in a 30 gallon reef and spawn regularly. Small clutches compared to other clowns, maybe 100-150 larvae at a time. When they hatch, the larvae of the oscellaris are a lot larger than other clowns as I am currently seeing with larvae from gold-banded premnas and oscellaris that both hatched on the same day. At day 5 of being fed rotifers, they are already large enough to consume baby brine shrimp. I will delay feeding them since the maroons will not do well with baby brine shrimp distracting them from the rotifers. Like I mentioned, I usually feed them baby brine shrimp from decapsulated eggs day 5-13 or until I can see that they are about to undergo metamorphosis. I also introduce them to flake food at around day 7. A wonderful day when they get so excited to see you coming and you only have to feed them pulverized flake food. I would recommend this fish to anyone. :D :D

aaon

P.S.

Always looking for larvae from other species of fish. If you have them, I will help you catch them and try to raise them.

Maxx

Staff Housemonkey
Blenny Babe, Good job nursing that Gigantea carpet back to health. They are tough to keep.

Nick

Jonathan G.

lol i love this thread already... i just set up my 75g and bought 2 baby O's as my first fish. one is just a tad smaller then the other but they are connected at the hip, i'd imagine the bigger one will be the female as it always rough houses the littler one.

Jonathan G.

question though if you dont mind.... is there any method or coursment, excuse my spelling, to get tank raised clowns to host in an anemone?

wrightme43

Sometimes they do, and sometimes they dont. Its kind of up to the fish. My lfs has been breeding the black and white occe. clowns and doing really well with them. I bought two as the first fish for my 75 but the had made a suicide pack and both went down the overflow the same night. I want to get more but I think from the number of bites I get cleaning the tank that the true perc. has settled in dominate in the tank. LOL I love the black and white occe. Steve

MzWeazelle

We've had our tank about 2 years, and our clown pair about 18 months. It took them a couple of months to "move in" but now you couldn't separate them from their anemone with anything less than dynamite.

We love all our fish (most of the time) but the clowns sure are a lot of fun.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts