Quantcast

Fowlr

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

idgy

In a FOWLR can I run a canister filter with just carbon and other types of resin type stuff? I know that I should not use any form of bio media.

Please advise or feel free to correct any wrong info I might be doing.

Thanks

fishermann

you can run a cannister but the drawback to them are you tend to not clean them as often as you should and they become a bed for nitrates, which in a fish only tank is no big deal but it can get algae going in the tank. If you don't want to run a sump i would run a hang on filter on the back. It well be easy to clean which means you well tend to do it more often. A really good on is Aqua Clear beause it forces the water through your media and all you do to clean is lift the lid off and the media basket just slides up and out. Keep the sponges rinsed out so as not to get nitrates build up, but easy to do.

fishermann

I don't know the size of you tank, but the aqua clear 500 is a good size one and allows you to put a prebagged bag of phosgard in and a prebagged bag of purigen which is a resin, they turn a lite tan when the need to change arrives. I don't reconstitute, i just throw away and put in a new one, I think they are both good for 100 gal tanks.

idgy

thanks, well I have a 58 gallon tank and I will have a sump and skimmer. I just thought the extra canister filter would provide more:

1, water movement

2, added chemical and mechanical filtration

Or would it just be over kill?

fishermann

If you are going to have a sump just toss the bags of what ever in the sump, or you can cut small slots in the bulk heads and tie a knot in the end of the media bag and hang. Ruffle them once a week to move the media around in the bag. I sure wouldn't run a cannister with a sump,because of the reasons already stated, i would run a box filter hanging off the sump before a cannister.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts