Quantcast

Frag tank

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

DonW

R.I.P.
Questions regarding frag tank set-up.

Dedicated not conected to display tank.
Do you need a skimmer since there is no poop?
Do you need to cycle since there is no rock or substrate?
What would you feed since your not feeding fish?
Will 110w vho grow sps in a 8" deep tank 4' long x 8" wide.

I can get 6 of these FREE all acrylic and plumbed together. Hang on the wall.

Thanks
Don

big t

tankless
Hey Don, VHO would certainly grow sps in those tanks. I grew a hell of a lot of sps w/ vho only in my 55, to tell the truth it worked a lot better then MH has so far for me. As far as filtration, I would think that you would need some LR in there at least to provide some filtering capability. Fish poop is the main food that sps eat, so It could be somewhat beneficial to have a couple small fish cruizing around. You could plumb them all together, and make a sump and put some LR in there. Just a thought.

big t

tankless
Looks pretty cool, I think that the only thing that I would change would be to add a sump, and put some LR in there. I am sure someone else will chime in.

DonW

R.I.P.
What do you think about filling the bottom one with LR rubble and only running carbon and rowa in the canister.

Don

big t

tankless
That sounds like a plan Don. I wish I had room for a sps frag system. I think that I would make a 4ft sq w/ raceways, and millions of frags. One day.

bradreef

always kidding
The rowa has been controversial lately and you can read about it at reefcentral in the sps forum. You should skim as you will want to remove the slime from the corals.

bradreef

always kidding
also to add to that why are you trying to remove the phosphate if there is no fish load. phosphate will stay low by itself.

DonW

R.I.P.
bradreef said:
The rowa has been controversial lately and you can read about it at reefcentral in the sps forum. You should skim as you will want to remove the slime from the corals.
Brad,

Alot of people use ROWA-phos with no problems, I am one. I did check out the gripes over on RC. What appears to be happening is "RTN". I highly dout the rowa itself is causing RTN. When you follow the instructions and go slowly there is no problems nor does it change the color of the coals.
I did not find one post that mentioned using a gram scale. On a smallish system it is important to use only enough. More is not better in this case. Rowa also suggest getting a good Phos test kit. In fact they say to use a Merck pro kit. As you know corals need some phos, so stripping the water to 0 cant be a good thing.
My guess is that people are getting the stuff dumping it in the supplied bag causing problems. My second guess would be they are making or buying reactors and filling them to capacity.
Starting at a half dose and working your way up over a few months is a simple cure. Going to the local head shop and getting a $3 gram scale is also cheap insurance.

Don

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts