Quantcast

Frag

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

DonW

R.I.P.
This frag is growing great. 2" in 30 days. Will the plastic straw in its base have long term effects.

Thanks
Don

DonW

R.I.P.
Thanks for the replys.:eek2:
My little tank is just starting to look good. I do have some brown/maroon hairy algae mat on the sand, I'm to to fond of. I started removing it by hand but it just keep coming back. None of the critters seem to be munching on this stuff either. I assume it will go away in time????

Thanks
Don

esmith

AQUAMANIAC
DonW, it's cyano bacteria! :(

You've got some source of phosphates in the tank, and that is what cyano bacteria feed on. I a battling this same problem right now, try to make sure you don't have any dead spots in you tank (as it's probably proliferating the most in these places), and then test to see where it's coming from. Mojoreef had me do some testing of the water 1/2" down inside of the sand, then next to the rocks where it is growing, and then of course test the water in the column; this should tell you where the levels are the highest (mine is the sand bed, it just can't process anymore).

You can also drip kalk which will help to evaporate out the phosphates in the water column, but not in the sand bed, as these are organic phosphates I believe.

Here are two very informative threads:
http://www.thepsas.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1218
http://www.thepsas.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1121

HTH,

Eliyah

DonW

R.I.P.
Thats bad news:( . You are right it is only in the dead spots. I did have some on a rock in the water column but it has gone away. Actually I think mine is on the down hill side. Was pretty bad last week but is now better but I did just change my ro filters to .5 micron on both. Maybe that helped?? My phosphates test "0" this week-end.

Don

esmith

AQUAMANIAC
That's good to hear. I did a water change last Friday, and siphoned off as much cyano as I could find, but as of Monday I could see small areas where it was returning. I even vac'd off the upper layer of most of my sandbed, came up with ~1 cup of detritus, and it's still not quite good enough I guess.

Well, hope your problem is going away for you sake; I've been fighting this for the last month or so and it's getting tiresome...just siphoned out a little cyano yesterday.

Eliyah

Vandur

Don / Eliyah,

If you want to just wipe the stuff out with a temporary fix (you will still need to find what is causing the increased phosphates), try using Chemi-Clean. It comes in a tiny bottle, and is both reef safe and extremely effective. Per the directions you will need to perform a 20% water change once it has had a chance to kill the cyano bacteria (assuming it is cyano and not just detrious.).

I used 1 dose of this in one of my older tanks that started to produce cyano and was blown away by it's effectiveness (and before anyone asks, no I am not a Chemi Clean rep. LOL).

Just my $.02.

~V

esmith

AQUAMANIAC
Even though I know it's reef safe, I prefer to not use any chemicals...it's a last resort for me. Besides, it's not going to do anything about removing my sandbed so it would be a complete and total waste, as I know it's leaching out from the sand.

Thanks for the idea though, I'm just going to ride it out because I'll be moving the end of March at which time I'll be upgrading to a larger tank without a sandbed. Just need to maintain it's growth right now. :D

Eliyah

DonW

R.I.P.
Vandur said:
Don / Eliyah,

If you want to just wipe the stuff out with a temporary fix (you will still need to find what is causing the increased phosphates), try using Chemi-Clean.
Just my $.02.

~V
I have some of that stuff and never used it. Of course I didnt know it could have been cyno either. Ive collected an entire pharmacy for saltwater over the years, but still found that water changes have cured most of my problems. My tank is tiny so a 25% or larger are no big deal. It seems that if I let my weekly 7 gallon 10% water change go for about three weeks I develope a small problem.

Thanks
Don

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts