Quantcast

fungus? maybe?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

All4funwfish

I have a rock of mushrooms, fairly recently purchased, which have a white film on the rock itself, it has yet to affect the shrooms. Im curious as to what it is, if it will go away, and how to kill it. It essentially gives the appearance of being "dry" under water...almost like snow on the hills. I would say the closest thing i can describe it as is very dense, smooth, low lying spiderweb.

All4funwfish

oh....very insightful....i hadnt thought of that one... it came from a decently lit area of a tank...was in a show tank at the LFS with a lot of soft corals, under fairly intense mh lighting with actinic blue flours...had two mh bulbs so had to be at least 250 watts..in approx 40 gal tank...i would say medium lighting, but i didnt notice it onthe rock when i bought it, but i brought it home, put it in a ten gallon quarantine tank, and this showed up...it was lower lighting, had a damsel in it, some live rock/sand. i checked ammonia and nitrite/nitrate levels as i figued it may have been a mold or fungus caused by poor water quality..but my levels all seem low and stable. however, im not as picky with this ank, so it is still a possibility. if you are referring to the white sponges that attach to rocks via spider web appearing strands, this isnt them....but it could be a different sponge maybe.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts