general lighting question

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Sealab2021

Puffer
Say I have 1 55w PC light

and I have a 12" tall 20 gallon tank with a small coral cluster directly in the middle of the tank

and I have a 12" tall 40 gallon tank with a small coral cluster directly in the middle of the tank

since the distance between the light and the corals is the same on each tank, isn't the light intensity on the corals the same in each tank?

If so, isn't the distance of the light to the corals much more important than watts per gallon?

DonW

R.I.P.
Watts per gallon is just a general rule of thumb to get you close. I wouldnt want all the corals on just the top of the rock. I think it more so depends on what you intend to keep and how much of it.

Don

Sealab2021

Puffer
I need lighting that will grow first watermelon mushrooms and then maybe some blue or purple ones(whatevers hardier).
I'm only interested in growing these 2-3 types of mushrooms, so I don't need/want to do any other corals or anemones,
but just do the bare minimum dollar-wise in lighting to keep mushrooms&coralline algae alive and hopefully slowly growing&muliplying.

fyi: with a 2.5" ls bed all mushrooms would be between 12" & 8" from the light source.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Sealab mushrooms are far more nutrient dependant then light dependant. Your lighting should be fine on either tank for what you are trying to accomplish.

Mike