Quantcast

Generator

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

DonW

R.I.P.
I have a chance to buy a 3750 generator at a great price $75. I'm wondering if this is enough for:

1 am3000
1 am2100
1 250w heater
1 iwaki wmd30
21" tv and a few household lights

I can easily put in a transfer switch box. I just need to decide whether or not this will handle my needs and what circuts I can run.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Don

DonW

R.I.P.
To add another question. I was told I could just shut of the main breaker the back feed the generator through the dryer plug. I understand this will stop the power guy from getting shocked but doesnt it make your circut breakers useless and burn down your house.

Don

mfinn

Surgeonfish
On each of the devices you want to use there should be a watts number. Just add all the numbers up and as long as the amount is less than the generator out put. You should be ok.
I would not hook up to the dryer outlet. You really don't want to risk a power linemans life, just for the convenience of using the dryer plug. If the circuit breaker is not working properly something bad could happen.
Oh, if you are on cable, better add in the watts used for a vcr or dvd player, my cable has never worked when the power went out.
I have a generator with the separate breaker box. Before that I used extention cords to all the devices that needed power.

DonW

R.I.P.
Do you figure in any buffer for start up. I like the generator Idea but am paranoid about torching my house.

Don

mfinn

Surgeonfish
That you should call up a shop that sells them. When I start mine up, I flip one switch at a time and wait a few seconds before flipping the next.
When I bought mine (6500watt) I figured everything I needed and it still only came to about 5500 watt, but bought the next size up.
What fire hazard are you worried about?

DonW

R.I.P.
finn said:
That you should call up a shop that sells them. When I start mine up, I flip one switch at a time and wait a few seconds before flipping the next.
When I bought mine (6500watt) I figured everything I needed and it still only came to about 5500 watt, but bought the next size up.
What fire hazard are you worried about?
I was concerned with all the extension cords and power strips. One of the first questions my girls asked was "can we use the blow dryer and curling iron". I can just see them overloading the thing when I'm not around.
I found out the generator came with a transfer switch box with biuld in watt meters up to 5kw. I guess I dont need to woryy about that any more.

Don

mfinn

Surgeonfish
Before I had my dedicated circuit box, I ran extension cords to the areas that I need power and I did use a power strip or two ( plastic ones are a fire waiting to happen) and I had the same problem with kids in the house wanting to plug something else in. I used several layers of duct tape over the unused plug-ins.

Scooterman

Administrator
75$, I'd buy Two! LOL

Your Generator has built in overload protection but like mentioned above, don't go power crazy on the thing, account for what your using & swap devices as needed, I don't think you need to watch TV while blow drying your hair at the same time right lol.

Heck, 75$, yea that is a good deal, I'd rather a bigger one for sure but at that price, I could stretch it out to get by. I agree about feeding your house from an outlet, it will work, it does happen but Just don't do it man, run some cords, you should have a few heavy duty ones anyways.

DonW

R.I.P.
Scooterman said:
75$, I'd buy Two! LOL

Your Generator has built in overload protection but like mentioned above, don't go power crazy on the thing, account for what your using & swap devices as needed, I don't think you need to watch TV while blow drying your hair at the same time right lol.

Heck, 75$, yea that is a good deal, I'd rather a bigger one for sure but at that price, I could stretch it out to get by. I agree about feeding your house from an outlet, it will work, it does happen but Just don't do it man, run some cords, you should have a few heavy duty ones anyways.
Is a great deal. But even better its actualy 6270 / 5000 and came with a 6 circut transfer switch all brand new goverment siezure. Now I just need to get it set up and running. Now that I have one the power should never go out again.

Don

mfinn

Surgeonfish
DonW, I called two or three electricians in the phone book and the high bid was $125 and the low bid was $75 to wire in the circuit box and set-up which house circuits in the house I wanted energized by the generator.

DonW

R.I.P.
finn said:
DonW, I called two or three electricians in the phone book and the high bid was $125 and the low bid was $75 to wire in the circuit box and set-up which house circuits in the house I wanted energized by the generator.
Thanks, once I got a look at it I could see how easy it really is. Should'nt take more 20 minutes for me to do myself.

Don

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts