Quantcast

getting started

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Joanne Martin

I want to get started on setting up a reef aquarium. I have a 50 gallon tank, it devided in two equal parts and connected with two tubes for the fish to swim through. Is this tank okay for setting up a reef? What do I need to get started? Equipment & Materials, Books etc. I am most interested in setting up the reef and worrying about adding fish later

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Hi Joanne and welcome to Reef frontiers. Your tank sounds neat, I am sure it could be an awesome reef. Its tough to just come out and tell you everything that you could do to set up a reef. have you had a chance to look at our library section yet?? It has a bunch of articles on how to set up and/or start up a reef. It might be best to browse their first and then come on back with questions

hope it helps

mike

NaH2O

Joanne - Welcome to the Board!!! I'll echo Mike's comments, and add a book to the list. I have found "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner to be a really good book. Also, you can get to our library through my signature line if you would like. Another nice place on the board is the "Great Threads" forum - as you get comfortable with different aspects of the hobby, then you can browse the threads there to get many varying opinions on good topics. Hopefully, all the reading will spark some questions that we will help you with, and you will be confident setting up your system.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.