Quantcast

Going on Vacation. What to do w/ fish?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
I am going to be out of town for about 3 weeks. How long should I push it before my fish are fed? I have a Clarkii clownfish, Bi-color blenny, and neon dottyback. I've been trying to feed them a good variety of foods to keep them healthy. All fish are in tip top shape. I have timers for my lights so I'm covered there. I am also going to set up a top off system for evaporation. The tanks are 20 gallons and 10. How often should I have someone feed them? How long can fish go w/o eating?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
Becky,

Here's a good thread. Vacation tips for your tank

However, don't you want the piece of mind that someone is doublechecking everything at least daily who can call you if needed?

Fish can often go quite a long time without food but any major change in routine is going to place stress on the fish.

Last edited:

Katchupoy

if they eat flakes. then you can buy an automatic feeder at walmat for 10 bucks... thats what i did when i had my 14 day vacation.

Katchupoy

How do you setup your top off... can you explain... becuase this is my number one concern when i did my vacation.

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
Haven't thought about it much. I might just get a neighbor to top off for me. If I come up with another plan then I'll let you know.

NaH2O

Becky, if you find someone to top off for you, then you can have your water pre-measured. That way all the sitter will have to do is dump it in. You can also pre-measure out your food, and keep it in a little zip-loc. Label the bags with the days on them....that way there is no chance of the temptation to over feed. Regardless of how long you are away, I always think it is a good idea to have someone check on a tank. Leave phone numbers to call in case of an emergency. During this time of year, I also think it is important to keep your room temperature the same as you normally have it set at (i.e. don't change your air conditioning) - my fear is that I turn the air warmer, and my tank heats up to dangerous levels. The less change from normal the better.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts