Quantcast

Gold-band Premnas eggs

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Elmo18

Clownfish
Well here are a series of shots of my pair's third batch, laid on 02/24/02 sometime between 4 and 7 pm.

I will start a post on trying to raise them soon. I will need suggestions and inputs, as I have never raised any type of fish from egg stage. The parents went nuts when i tried to take these pics ;)

another

another one

one more

last one from this batch

The pair was bought from Jeff's Exotic Fish for a price of $50 dollars about 2-2.5 years ago. They are the oldest fishes in my care currently.

- Ilham

ggarner

thats awesome! my long spiner cardinals recently mated and one of them (i am guessing the male) now has the eggs in it's mouth... so i dunno what the time is till he spits them out... but i have a long spined urchin in the tank, so hopefully some of them will make it!

Ray Pollett

I reccomend you get Joyce Wilkerson's book " Clownfishes" if you want to raise them. It will take you thru it. Understand you will not be able to do it in a normal tank setup. They go thru a lavel stage.

I've never done Cardinals. I understand from talking to people most hold in their mouth about 30 days if memeroy serves me. Then if you want any to survive they move them to another tank by themselves. One of the problems I seem to remember is suitable size food that will not foul their tank.

Ray

Elmo18

Clownfish
Thx Ray. I have already gotten Joyce Wilkerson's book about a year ago. Right now I'm getting all the supplies for greenwater cultures and rotifer cultures, but I will try start another thread soon.

Thank you,

Ilham

NaH2O

For those interested, here is a great link about Breeding Clowns

The following quote regarding eggs is taken from the above website:

Eggs Day 1-3
The eggs begin life as a bright orange colour and then turn a dark brown at about day 3.

Eggs Day 4
On day 4, the egg has a dark pigment which is the eye.

Eggs Day 5-6
Around day 5, the eggs turn a slivery colour.

Hatching
Just before the eggs hatch, they are violet and seem to bulge. Eggs will hatch within 6 to 12 days and generally on day 7 or 8. They will hatch at night 1 to 2 hours after darkness and the hatching can take 15 to 20 minutes. All unhatched eggs will hatch the following day.

Larva
The larva are 4mm in length and will head towards the upper part of the tank.

Larva Tank
It is recommended that all larva are moved to a separate larva tank. To move the larva, shine a torch (flashlight) on one of the sides of the tank after hatching has occurred. The larva will be drawn to the light and they can be carefully siphoned out of the main tank. DO NOT use a net, as this will damage their incredible delicate bodies. The larva tank should have high blacked out sides, good lighting and a continuous flow of fine air bubbles. As a general rule, the tank should be at least 10 gallons in size with 30 to 50 being preferred. The tank can be a simple affair with a heater and an air stone leaving the bottom bare to ensure easy maintenance. Obviously the water quality needs to be exactly the same in the larva tank as it is in the main tank.

Cleaning Larva Tank
Siphon settled particles from the tank everyday using a small hose. Change 10 to 20 percent of the water every 2 days. It is imperative that the larva tank is kept clean. Continually monitor the water conditions.

Feeding Larva
This seems to be the hardest part. Rotifers should be feed as a first food with baby brine shrimp being feed around day 4. On day 10-15 try pulverised flake food and blended food like shrimp or scallop.

Juvenile Growth
The young receive their colour when they are about 1/4" to 1/2" long at which stage, they can be moved to a filtered tank.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.