Quantcast

good or bad anemone?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

mattseattle

is this something i want in my tank? sorry about the blurry picture but it's a little far back in the corner of my tank to get a clear shot. hopefully you can identify from this picture.

i'm not sure if it's an aiptasia or not.....

Gordo

It's kind of fuzzy so I can't really tell. If it's light brown and a bit translucent then its probably aptasia.

mattseattle

it's on a brown rock and it looks solid white with maybe a hint of light pink in it to me.

it doesn't look anything like this.....all the arms are the same size and same thickness with rounded ends and not pointed like the pictures of aiptasia i've seen. i think it came in on a piece of yellow polyp coral i bought from aquarium concepts.

do all aiptasia look like the below picture?

mattseattle

yeah it doesn't look anything like that picture.....at least not yet. i added a peppermint shrimp a month or two ago just in case one every popped up in the tank.

are there other types of anemone's that are not wanted in the reef tank?

oregon gorge

Most likely a Majano (sp?) anenome. Hard to tell from the pic. They run in quite a few colors, but have that shape. Supposedly, Cobberbands like to eat them. I am going to order one and tryit out.

FIW, Chris

Alice

I can't say for sure what the anemone in the pic is, though I'd tend to go with an aiptasia over the majano, given the two choices. Majano look like mini E. quadricolor (bubble tip) brown in the body and green at the end of the tips. You can have success if you kalk majanos, or inject them with vinegar or if it's not too large, with hot water. They're tough though, and the above methods don't always work. While they don't spread as fast as aiptasia, they do spread.

I found out, by lucky coincidence, that if the rock with majano is left out of the water about 10 minutes or so, they'll release their hold on the rock and you can pop them off with your fingernail or screwdriver.

Alice

Mushroom Boy

Any chance it's bleached out yellow polyp? It's kind of tough to tell from the pic. In any case, yes, I think kalk would definitely get rid of it for you...

mattseattle

well i do have yellow polyps in the tank but the arms are thicker than the yellow polyps.

the bad thing is it's on the back rock in the center so it's going to be 'difficult' to get it.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts