Quantcast

good or bad?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

SaltwaterTeen

I found two very little stars on my live rock, I confirmed that, because they move slow and have 5 little blunt arms. They really look like my sand sifting star, dark grey in the middle and a creamish gray on the outside. Are these baby sand sifting stars or are they pest stars? Will they hurt any corals?

flugelnuss

Clownfish
Sounds like an asterina star. Do you have a pic of it? I thought these were safe as well, until I ran across a thread on RC pointing to the garf.org website. garf claims that they are predatory SPS stars. I've never had a problem with them before, but maybe you should check this out and let us know if it is the same star that you have in your tank.

http://www.garf.org/news26p2.html#STAR

gobie

dave the gobie
I Have All Types Of Stars In My Tank Some Are Brown Somar Cream Some Are Orange. I Keep Lps 1 Sps Leathers And I Have Yet To Find Any On Corals. They Are Always On The Side Of Tank Or Rock Or Substraight. If Any Are Polyp Predators I Must Not Have The Right Corals For Them To Eat.

wrightme43

I have the same white and blue grey ones you have SWT, on the predetory ones I do remove all tan or brown ones. I understand they can sometimes eat coral. I have never heard of the white/blue grey center ones causeing problems and I have a ton of them. My sony stinks at closeups I need to sell a kidney and get a nikkon or a hp with the 8xoptical zoom. Or for about the same money I can get a macro lense for the sony. LOL Sorry man. STeve

fishermann

There are alot of different ones, I wouldn't do anything with them until you see them on some corals, most stars don't hurt a thing. They aren't going to destroy a coral overnite or grow big overnite.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts