Quantcast

Growing Mushrooms and Zoos

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

BCT182

Hi everybody, ok I have some zoos and mushrooms and I was wondering how they split? Or if even they do split? Is there anything I can do to help them along? Target feeding, cutting? I have some small frags that I'd like to grow so I can trade with others later on when the groups are larger.
Thanks
Brett

Elmo18

Clownfish
Hi Brett. I'll start off with mushrooms. Usual method is that an offshoot will grow from the base of another mushroom. It will be a small sized cap, and eventually grow more like the larger one. I have not seen mushrooms sexually reproducing. Another method they use is to loosen from their current location to other parts of the tank, possibly because they do not like that position, or as a means of reproduction. They are doing this in my tank because I see the same exact mushroom species on the other side of the tank, away from the original mushroom rock. The one that decides to move will then again result in more mushrooms. Another approach to fragging mushrooms is to cut the cap off and slice the cap into pizza shaped slices, either in half, quarters, or eighths. You would then lay those in a very low flow area on top of coral rubble or crushed coral, so they may adhere and attach. They will eventually grow into full mushrooms. Doing this allows the availability of buying mushroom rock colonies full of different species, and not just one type. This is due to captive propagation of different species onto one rock, letting them grow and establish themselves.

- Elmo

Alice

Hi Brett :)

With zoos you can either bust up a large rock into smaller pieces for trade, or put small rocks next to the existing colony so that they will cover the new rocks. With some you can peel them away from the rock easy enough to poke them into crevices on new rocks or attach them loosely with bridal veil netting and a rubber band. I know some folks peel them and glue them but I've found that they don't hold that well and that it tends to really tick off some of them...very slow to open back up.

Alice

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.