Quantcast

Heater Problems

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Illusion

After all the problems I am having with my Stand Today I come home and Find that my tank has dropped 2F in temp and I checked the heater in case I bumped it and It didnt come on.. Its a 2-3m old 300w Won Pro Heat Titanium heater.. I had an old 200w Ebo that couldnt keep the heater at 80F However I have a 100w Visa Therm heater that heats the tank well..

What Is the best quality heater out there.. I am tired of Broken Heaters.. Ebo is out of business so I can't get that heater Fixed.. And I hear these Won Heaters are known for going bad..

I am beginning to hate this Hobby.. Always something to go wrong Every day.. I have always bought the best equiptment so I didnt have this issue but they still seem to happen..

James

mattseattle

Ebo is out of business? I did not know that. I bought a titantium heater...it wasn't the Won Pro though. Another brand. I bought it at Blue Sierra. I am not pleased with it either. I had to turn it up to 84 in order for it to keep the tank at 80 and it doesn't do that reliably. Sometimes it'll be 78, 79 or 80. I've been looking for another heater myself.

I've always used Ebo in the past but I had 2 go out within a month of each other and I needed an emergency heater so I went to Blue Sierra and bought this crap titantium one.

So anyone out there with good advice on a 'reliable' heater?

Illusion

Yeah a Mo purchase company that I normally buy from "captivereefs.com" was informed by his wholesaler that Ebo went out of Business.. After looking at my ebo heater a bit closer it seems as though they are not fully Submersable even though Marine Depot states that they are... I have no heater now except a 100w Visa therm heater.. This sucks.. I hate having this kind of luck.. My Won heater seem to work great for the last 2-3m very accurate and i was just telling someone how I like it so much yesterday.. Guess I shouldnt have said anything..

James

Illusion

Well I went ahead and Ordered another Ebo Heater.. This time Hopefully It will last longer.. I went with the 250w for a bit more heating power... Hopefully MarineDepot Will Replace the Ebo unit that went bad and Captivereefs will take care of my Won unit.. Then I would have a few extra Heaters Just in case LOL

James

mattseattle

I did research on the Won heaters before I had to buy a new one. Too many negatives on Reefcentral for me to even think about one. The guys at Blue Sierra said the one I bought was 'reliable'. Guess it's ok....I just had to figure out the error of margain on the thermostat.

Guess I should order an Ebo or two to have a spare.

Illusion

Yeah Might be a good Idea.. The only thing I am curious about is how the warranty is handled now..

James

Katchupoy

Hi... Just my two cents... I have three 100 watt cheap heaters that are not even submersible. I bought them for 3 bucks each.

At first, my temp variance are around 1 to 3 degrees. And no matter I do it wont go steady....

But, I found this cheap "TOTO" temp controllers [on sale at Blue Sierra] for 20 bucks.... It has a remote temp probe that you put on the water, and a socket where you put the device you want to control.... Its like "RANCO" controller. But this one is single stage and only control heat and not cold...

But it works great.... variance now is 0.3....from 79.8 to 80.1 give or take. I just adjust all my heaters to 82 (without the controller)... so if the controller ever got stuck at least im still on a safe side.

And always have more than one heater.. just in case.

NaH2O

Since they were mentioned here, I just wanted to add that Captive Reefs is a sponsor on RF: Captive Reefs Forum - if anyone was interested.

Has anyone ever considered running 2 smaller heaters on their tank, that way if one fails you have the other already in place until you get the replacement?

NeilsReef

I use to run 2 heaters.

"Has anyone ever considered running 2 smaller heaters on their tank, that way if one fails you have the other already in place until you get the replacement?"

I use to run 1 300 watt heater in my sump, and I set the temp at 78. In the sump I also had a small back up heater that I had set at 70. This was used because my main heater didn't always cooperate, eventhough it was relatively new, go figure..

Witfull

it is a common practice with many aquarists both fresh and salt, especially those that have had the boiled/frozen tank. i reccommend it.

Electrokate

Hi,
I have done the two heater thing myself, no real improvement-one can fail and you won't notice til the other one blows too. Sounds like the remote controller is the way to go. One of my tanks gets down to 72 degrees at night and 84 during the day. The Nano reef thing sucks... don't do it. Remarkably little in it has died, half the xenia is all. Never put much in it other than rock and sand, fortunately. I don't recommend Ebo Jager, they work for a while but often fail within a year of opening the package. They still go on and off but you can't rely on them and there will no longer be any correlation between what temp you set it for and what it actually does, have to set mine 10 degrees above where I want it just to get it to kick in. Sucks. Guess you need to go top of the line on just about every piece of gear that goes into this hobby.
Mushrooms are really hardy!
Kate B
Oly WA

Katchupoy

This is the one Im telling you guys... It really solved my problems with my heater... My heater is not also accurate in terms of temp... so I add this one...

If you are a electronic/DIY'er then you can add a relay to make it reverse so you can do hot and cold... or heater or fan... at the same time....

So in this way... you can still use your old heaters... put them on their above normal that you use then attach it to one of these gadgets...

Its like ramco but cheaper...

Electrokate

Hi,
after I posted I found a website that clarifies why 2 heaters are not as good as a temp controller, you have to scroll down below the product listings to the text where they spell it out. Thank you all for pointing this equipment out! I am going to move the nano stuff into an 82 with a sump and add a temp controller based system. Might plumb that to a 10 gallon nano for a frag tank... but i think the stand alone nano thing is not going to work out for me.
Thanks again,
Kate B
Oly WA

mattseattle

well I just got back from Blue Sierra and bought the last Otto controller. Not the prettiest thing but it looks like it's going to do the job. Thanks Cesar for letting me know where they were. I had to dig through the table to find it but it was there hidden under something else. I was just there on Friday and looked but couldn't find it.

The little unit seems to work well. I have it all hooked up and it seems dead on with temperature control in comparison to all the heaters I've used trying to keep the tank at a controlled temperature.

Last edited:

jazznreef

yea, temperature controllers rawk. i have a dual stage one and have never looked back. they really put your mind to rest considering heaters have the highest failure rates of our equipment. well, except maybe rio pumps but i ditched those years ago.
highly recommended!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.