Quantcast

Helios T5 product :(

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
This is a heads up on a poor product that has been marketed to be far better than it is. In the last week two of my 36" Helios 29W T-5 actinic lamps have failed (burn extremely dim).

I unfortunately bought these from a couple different stores in the area who all reported an expected lamp life of 2-3yrs!

Understanding this I emailed the manufacturer Commodity Axis Inc. Here is their reply:

"Most of our actinic lamp on t-5 can only last up to 6 months.
It is because the technology is relatively new to employ actinic in T-5 lamps. We have made 6 time improvement on our T-5 since it was introduce last year at May. These units are build to discards when the lamp is done. There are no ballast to replace for our T-5 units."

I am unsure if the same problem applies to the 10K and Blues as well as my lacky actinics. So far the 10K are still running. My next T-5 setup will be made by Sunlight Supplies retros as they have had allot of much better feedback.

cookiemn

Chicago bound!!!
Sorry to hear that. That is weird why they would put out such an inferior product. I bought my T5s from ReefGeek about 3 months ago and they are going strong.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Jlehigh I think I know about the units you are refering to and yes they are cheapp and disposable, kind of useless in my view. I have the product made by Sunlight and the bulbs comes from Germany (aquastik) and have had them on my tanks for a little over a year, no problems so far.

I hope you have better lucj

Mike

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.