Quantcast

Hello

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Greg0323

Hi, My name is Greg, and I am very new to salt water aquarium's. I was doing a search on google, for different sites about the subject, and found your site. I must say I think this site is awesome, and the people seem very helpful. I've already bought a couple of books on reefing, which I'm picking up on different things what to do and not to do and such. And this site has been even more helpful than the book that I'm reading right now even. I just finished reading the helpful info on about sumps and how they work, and also closed loops. And I plan on reading and trying learn about other topics as well.

I currently do not have a tank yet. I want to learn as much I as can now. So when I do it goes as smooth as I can possible get it. Also I'm currently renting, and hopfuly will be looking and buying my first home this spring. So don't want to setup a 120 or 150 gallon tank, then have to go thru the problems of trying to move it, And possible hurt this fish or corals.

I'm sure I will be asking questions about sumps and other things related to this great hobby in the future when I do some more reading, here at his site, and the books I've bought.

Mojo, Justed wanted to say I love your tank setup!!! I don't think i've ever seen a nicer looking tank that you have built. I've got some questions about the spraybar, but will do that in another post in the future.

Thanks for creating such a great web site, with great information, guides, and love your "Lets talk about" topics and all the great and different input from everyone.

Greg

Last edited:

NaH2O

Greg - Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!! I'm glad you have found our site informative, and I'm sure the members and information here will be an asset to your future tank set-up.....I know they've certainly helped me. Look forward to house hunting - you will seek an ideal "tank spot" with each home you see. Definately use the search function, and check out the tank design forum for ideas on set-up. Above all, ask questions! We have been through it, and many of us learned from mistakes. There is no such thing as a dumb question, either - so ask away! I look forward to reading about your future set-up!

Oh - another great resource on the board is the ID Research Gallery. It will help you get an idea of what types of corals there are, and looking at members photo galleries will help you get an idea on how you want your tank to look.

Greg0323

Thanks for the extra info Nikki, I have looked at the tank design forum, alittle so far, really like your and mojo's design for your tank, with the closed loop. By reading thru all the posts on your tank, was able to get a better idea on how a closed loop works. Do have one question on it if you don't mind. On mojo's orginal drawing of the closed loop, If I read it correctly, it called for 10 outputs and the 2 inputs. then noticed when mojo did the drilling, it then changed to 8 outputs. was wondering why the other 2 outputs where taken out of the design of the CL, was there any pros or cons on either having them or not? Thanks Again, just trying to learn as much as possible. :)

Greg

NaH2O

Greg - the tank didn't have enough room for the other outputs. If I remember correctly, one of the removed outputs was next to the closed loop intakes. I believe this is where the problem was. It was going to be an awkward fit and not sure there would have been room to plumb all of this together well. I haven't noticed any cons without those outputs. I feel the circulation created with this design is outstanding. The bottom outputs removed the need for a spraybar, and I love it.

Greg0323

That makes sense. I looked at your pics of your existing plumbing, and did not even think about the plumbing it's self. I feel like a noobie. :) :)

kevinpo

Expert
Hi Greg,
Welcome aboard :) It sound like you are taking the right approach to the hobby by researching first. I wish there had been more information when I started. There are so many great books and resources available now (like this board).

Regards,
Kevin

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
Hello back to ya Greg, and welcome. I'll second or third the statement that research is first and foremost when putting together a reef system. Some of us are still making mistakes, so don't feel bad about asking questions. I wish I knew then what I know now. Ahhh, but the learning experience can be so much fun??????
Enjoy, this place is the best out there. :D

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.