Quantcast

Help!90 Gallon Reef Tank

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

CSHRIMPRUN

I Started This Hobby With Fresh Water African Cichlids.
But Now.....i've Graduated To A 90gal 18w X 24h X 48l.
Just Added My First 20lbs Of Cured Fiji Rock
I Have The All Glass Aquarium With The Mega Overflow...it Has Slits On The Bottom , Middle, And Top. I Suppose This Will Suck Water From 3 Levels Of The Tank...."nice"!
I Have A 30gal Sump With Aqua C Urchin Protein Skimmer With 350gph Pump And A 700gph Pump For The Return . the One Thing That Still Stumps Me Is The Rate Of Flow. Is What I Have Enough Or Do I Need More Power???i Want To Make It A Reef Tank.....
I Have 2 150w Metal Halides And 2 96w Actinic Compacts And 3 Blue Moon Led's.
Any Tips Or Advice Is Greatly Appreciated :)
Thanx.....

DonW

R.I.P.
Flow is reletive to what your trying to keep. Have you made a decision as to what your going to have (SPS, softies, fish only)??

Don

NaH2O

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

I'll echo don's question on what type of inhabitants you would like, and add a question...do you have any powerheads or any circulation other than the return pump?

CSHRIMPRUN

I plan on having clams, sps, softies and reef safe fish.
I have no other powerheads or circulation... just the return pump.
what to you guys suggest i get?

NaH2O

How much live rock total did you have in mind?

You may find that a couple of powerheads or a closed loop will create some additional circulation in the tank. IMO, you want to avoid dead spots, so they don't accumulate junk that sits and rots....making food for algae.

Here is a thread: Help with Flow. It has a nice pic of an over the top closed loop to provide circulation in other areas without powerheads.

Another thread: Flow and/or Circulation

CSHRIMPRUN

i would say about 165lbs. of rock maybe more
so far i have about 45lbs. but tank is so clowdy right now i cant see any of it...
i just added the sand and water about 5 days ago , so still cloudy!!!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts