Quantcast

Help! I was never good at chemistry

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

ankjones

Sorry to sound like such an amature but I recently began an eclipse six nano tank. I bought a Red Sea Marine Lab with all the essiential tests. I put 5lbs uncured live rock in about two days ago and am seeing an expected amount of die off. I've been told that my ammonia and nitrite levels would be outta control for about 3 weeks and I tested my ph today and it was 8. the ammonia test requires to test ph, read temperature, then use a chart to find the percentage of toxic ammonia which you multiply the tested ammonia number with to find the number which they dont nessicarily specify good or bad, they say .14ppm is bad and I came up with only .014 ppm which I assume isnt bad at all. Please help me, I would like to know what is considered the correct PH, Alkalinity, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate levels.
Thanks,
Andrew

NaH2O

Hey Andrew! Welcome to Reef Frontiers!

You really are shooting for your ammonia and nitrites to be zero. If the Red Sea test kit you are using is the same that I used....I didn't use any of the conversion. I'll go and look at my old test kit. I just went on what the color change showed, and I was looking for a zero reading. Here is a thread with my nitrogen cycle. I hope you find it helpful.

Nitrogen Cycle Explained

NaH2O

OK - I'm a dork - I guess I neglected that part of the test, however, you will still want 0ppm of ammonia and nitrites. Towards the end, I wound up getting the Salifert test kits, as they are very easy to use and interpret.

Here is a good article by Randy Holmes-Farley Water Parameters. It has a lot of other parameters that are useful in understanding your reef's chemistry.

plack

Sea Otter
I don't Know whats in it besides the rock and I must know if you are going for coral's- a Reef tank or no coral just Fish Only With Live Rock and or Sand then ?

ankjones

Currently it is a six gallon eclipse tank with about 5lbs rock, i've been leaving the light on about 8-9 hrs a day, i have the filter running, floss media with active carbon and a biowheel, the bottom is about 1" of crushed coral. I plan on adding a few red scarlet crabs, a few snails (not sure on a type yet), and either two shrimp and a clown fish, or a young pair of clown fish and a single shrimp. I do not plan on adding things quickly by any means, and I plan on adding coral and some polyps before the clowns and/or the shrimp. I am also curious if anybody has any output on if this eclipse system offers enough water movement. And if a 50/50 lightbulb in the stock fixture is enough to suffice for these things.
Thanks for everybodys help

wrightme43

I have read, in a tank that small the best way to go is shrimp only, no fish. Keep zoos, shrooms, and green star polyps. I can not tell you for sure because I have never tried to keep a tank that small. I did a 10 for about 6 months, but it varied so much I tore it down and use it as time out tank, and place to keep my live rock pieces for fragging. Be slow and dont overstock and you should be happy. What I did with my 10 was a 1 gal water change every day. I just had a 1 gallon pitcher and a 1 gal milk jug. I would make new water every night after I had removed and replaced a gal. On a 6 probley 1/2 gal would be better. Just put a airstone in the fresh salt water and let it bubble all day. I hope this helps you. Steve

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.