Quantcast

help with "hellsfire anemone"

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

lizardarm

Reptilian Disco Biscuit
between a rock and a hard place: (Bremerton, WA)
hey everyone,
while in the lfs today i saw something called a hellsfire anemone.
i belive that the sp. name is phyllodiscus semoni.
i was wondering if anyone out there could help me out with a bit of info about
this guy so i can decide if i want it in my tank or not.
thanks

wrightme43

From what Mr. Borneman says in aquarium corals, they have a strong enough sting to tear skin from your body, and are named the hells fire anemone for just that reason. I assume that anything that painful and dangerous to humans could only be more so to your fish, and any coral it encountered would be destroyed. I have no experince keeping this anemone, however I have found Mr. Borneman to be pretty much dead on with the information in his book. HTH Steve

Boomer

RF Staff
Lizard

while in the lfs today i saw something called a hellsfire anemone.

Those are members of the family Actinodendriida, such as the Hellsfire Anemone Actinodendrom plumosa. The Phyllodiscus semoni is a Aliciidae and these anemones are often called Night Anemones

Hellsfire and Night Anemones (just keep clicking to the next page)
http://www.reefimages.com/Anemones/Anemones.htm

Wright

Mr. Borneman says in aquarium corals

Where, I can't find it not even in the index under any name

Boomer

RF Staff
I forgot to add Actinodendriida, what we call Hell's Fires, are very difficult to keep and usually only last 6 months or less, so they are best left in the ocean.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
BOOOOOOOOMMMMMEEERRRR well I will be, great to see you pop by and put the visit on us!!!!!

Welcome to Reef Frontiers

Mike

Boomer

RF Staff
Hi Mickeeeeeeeeey, thought I would pop in and see what's up with this forum you and Nikki are always advertising across all the world. Nice place you have here, think I will stay :D Time to get out of the house to do some CM shopping, before it is to late :lol:

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts