Help with Kent Maxxima RO/DI Unit

Lagavulin

I bought a unit used and have no manual. The following question is from the Kent website FAQ's and I have the same issue.

Q: Why is my unit producing a lot of product water and very little waste?

A: When this happens it usually is caused by the membrane either not getting seated all the way into the housing, or over time working itself loose. Water will then bypass the membrane and you will get unfiltered water coming out.

So...Can anyone tell me how to fix it? How would I "re-seat" the membrane? It is that white tube/canister on top right? TIA for any help. Lag.

big t

tankless
Are you sure that it is not the other way around? I.E. your unit is producing a lot of waiste and very little product? That is how it ususally works and would mean that you either don't have a problem or your prefilters are dirty, and causing a pressure drop.

NaH2O

Do you know how old the membrane and filters are? I know with my Kent Marine unit, when my membrane was shot, the water came out of the unit pretty fast. Once I replaced the membrane and other filters, it was back to super slow again.

Lagavulin

I found a schematic on a website, which showed the BLUE line as product & the ORANGE line as waste. It is the BLUE which is spouting out water at a rate I think would exceed the total SUPPOSED output of the unit, (supposed to be 24GPD and this thing filled a 5 gallon bucket in about 5 minutes). So...yeah I'm pretty sure it's "not the other way around". The schematic was "bassackawards" if it was so if you have a Kent unit which is the product & which is the waste? If the pic I saw is wrong, then your right in that I probably don't have a problem but holy cow does this ever waste a lot of water.

As to the membrane age question, the unit was supposedly used only "a couple of times". Now that is HOPEFULLY true. But I still have the questions from the post, is the membrane that white tube on top?, and how do I take it apart to try to "re-seat" it. I feel like this is a good first troubleshooting step since the Kent website FAQ's specifically addresses this. I just don't know which component is the membrane, (it's got to be the thingy on top since I can open, and already did, the bottom three canisters), and how to take the housing apart without breaking it. TIA. Lag.

NaH2O

Lagavulin - the membrane is in that white tube that sits on tip. You simply unscrew it, and you should have access to the membrane then. It fits in the tube part pretty tight. Try to take it out and put it back in. See if that helps.

Lagavulin

That seems to have done it nicely. It did appear "unseated". I pushed it back in and put it back together. Should have been able to figure it out myself but I was afraid to bust it till I knew what to take apart. I'll know for sure once I get my TDS meter I bought. Thanks Nikki!! :D

Latest posts