Quantcast

Help with plumbing parts list please

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

edgerat

Indecisive
Ok, I need to get my order in with Grainger for all my plumbing bits and pieces that I need. My tank is a 180 with dual drains and dual returns. As it stands right now I have the two drains running down to the sump, should I have a ball valve on this? Then the return pump (sequence dart with 2 inch intake and 1.5" out) and the skimmer pump (gen-x pcx 40 with .75" in and .75" out) are both externally mounted off the end of the sump. Should I have ball valves between the the sump and the pumps and if so, where at and what size? I also need to know what kind of PVC, meaning threaded or slip fit, will I need and is SCH 80 going to be overkill in this application? I plan on using spa-flex from the return pump up to a TEE and then to each return into the tank. I plan on using a true-union ball valve on this run in order to scale back flow if need be. I am also looking for the plastic eductors that DGASMD and others use on their tank returns just so I can up the flow a little more. Where do I get these bad-boys at? And lastly, how do I connect spa flex to the TEE and to the true-union( if that is what I need) ball valves. Sorry, to overload on the questions but this is my first tank and I have seen everything from outlandish amounts of ball valves to 0..... The MRC sump is coming pre-drilled with the bulkheads already in place for the return pump and the skimmer. One other question while I am at it.... With the skimmer being external, how do I get the water back to the sump without any microbubbles????
Thank you all, and as soon as the stand is finished I will begin the build with lots O pics...
Isaac

DonW

R.I.P.
I would just go to home depot or mclendons. This way if you forget something and you will it wont be a problem. I would put ball valves on bothe sides of the pumps just for servicing. Also I would use sched 80 for the valves, they last longer. Use the same size as your plumbing.
I think there is a photo in my gallery as an example.

Don

wrightme43

I just glue spa flex with multipurpose pvc cpcv glue in high strength with purple primer. Lots O' true unions. LOL Draw it out on paper is my advice. It seems to help. HTH Steve

oldsaint

Sashimi
I just went thru this on my 260...and then I went thru it again ...and then again ...and again...definitely draw it out on paper it will save you alot of time. :)

edgerat

Indecisive
so, I think I am starting to narrow it down... one other question... should I do slip fittings or FNPT fittings????? Teflon tape galore on the one but I have not had the best luck with slip-fits and my gluing techniques.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts