Quantcast

Help With plumbing

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Illusion

Ok I have a few problems.. First off I am trying to switch out a Submersible pump (Mag 9.5) with a external GenX PCX 40...

The main problem I have is my sump is Glass (29g tank) I do not want to have the tank drilled at the moment as I would like to get an Acrylic sump and use the 29g in the future...

So my question is what is the Safest way to run the PCX40 externally without the risk of buring up the pump in a power outage...

My thoughts were to run PVC into the sump and make a U shape at the bottom using all 3/4" pvc having it come up out of the sump and back down the side and into the Pump... I am aware that I would have to prime the pump Initally but I dont know If I would need to after that...

AS for the Output side of the Pump I would like to T off of it and put ball valves on each side to back off the pressure if needed. (55g tank lol) One side of the T would run up and into the tank on the left side.. The other side of the T would run thru a Pacific Coast 1/2hp Chiller and then out the chiller and into the other side of the tank... The chiller requires a water flow of atleast 500gph to run thru it...

Right now the current setup is the mag 9.5 is in the sump and is ran directly into the Chillers IN port and then the output is split back into the tank thru 2 returns on both sides of the tank...

If you need more clarification please just ask.. Hope I didnt confuse anyone too much..

Thanks again,
James

jmaxwell

I have done exactly what you describe running an external pump...simply used pvc to run up one side of the sump and back down the outside to the external pump...if you are concerned about lack of pressure to chiller you could put your "T" in after the chiller. You are correct you will have to get water to the pump to prime it with this setup...so make sure you allow yourself a way to do it.

Jim

Illusion

The usual way I prime stuff is the method of Start Sucking LOL.. usually drink nasty water but its only SW and not Gas lol...

AS for the piping I would like to stick with 3/4" atleast from the input line of the pump and the side to the chiller... the parts to the tank I would like to stick with 1/2" as it looks a bit better in a 55g tank... Does anyone think that Either would cause an issue? The input line of the Pump would always be submersed for sure...

Thanks Again,
James

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts