Help with refugium overflow.

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Jeff

Ok here is the situation. I have a 60 gallon refugium which sits right next to my sump. It has been drilled with a 1” bulkhead near the top that I was hoping would be enough to handle the flow into the sump. The bulkhead, however, is draining so slow that the refugium water level soon goes above the bulkhead.

I bought the Tunze streams so I don’t really have a lot of flow going through the overflows. I am using an Iwaki 30 rlxt with 5.5’ of head, the drain is split between the sump and refugium- so the refugium should only be getting < 400gph.

Why is this bulk head draining so slow? The tank was supposed to come with 1” drains so that has to be enough to handle this flow right?? Is it draining so slow because of some kind of back pressure caused by the bulkhead going sideways instead of vertical. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Jeff

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Jeff it sounds like a vacuum problem, not enough air gettin in to allow for the flow. Here are a couple of ideas. On the outside of the refugium attach a Tee instead of the elbow going inot the tank. on the top of the Tee attach a pipe going up about 6 inches, put a cap on it and drill a 1/4 inch hole in the cap. Another method is to just get a peice of ro/di hose and stick it in the drain hole, it will add the air you need.

Mike

Jeff

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking about adding a Tee, however I think that the bulkhead is just too small. I tried the bulk head with no drain hose, just dropping directly into the sump; it still could not keep up with the flow. I am thinking that it must just be the difference of having no water column, and thus low p.s.i. pushing water through the bulkhead. I went ahead and added two more bulkheads and will probably add the Tees to them.
Jeff

gljjr

If the vertical drop between the refugium and the water level in the sump is too small you won't have the flow you are looking for. I would tee the drain coming from the tank so that most of the water goes directly to the sump and then have a valve on the portion that goes to the refuge. In this way you can control where the water is going allowing for a slower flow through the refuge than through the sump.