Quantcast

help with sump

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

alittlefishy

hello, i have a 75 gal rr tank and would like to know if anyone has any detailed plans for building a sump from a 20l or 30 gal tank. i will be using a euroreef ES5-3 skimmer in the sump and need to know what size submersible pump to use for the return. also what is a closed loop and what are the benifits of this.

MarineDreamer

Est. April 2nd, 2005
Hello Fishy,

I don't know if you've thought about trying to keep your pump out of the water. That would help with water temperatures. As far as what size, I don’t have any experience there. Check the manual?

Let’s see if I can clarify the ‘Closed Loop’ (CL) for you. It is NOT the sump. A closed loop takes water from the main tank and pumps it right back in. Its whole purpose is water circulation. There are a couple of threads in here where people have drawn schematics of their CL systems.

Trevor

wanareef

reefer addict
The benifits of a CL are, no Ph's in the main tank, one big pump instead of several, increased flow for your corals, if used in conjunction with a spray bar will keep your detritus from accumlating near the bottom of the rocks. No chance of flooding if pump is turned off. (scratching head)

For your CL, a small Amp or a Sequence pump that draws very little electricity will work for you. azponds might still have a sale on these and are better priced that any of the onliners. look into the 750 series and not that new see through blue model - too new.

hth

szidls

Gaitor Wrestler
alittlefishy,
To size your return pump you can use the calculator in the reef frontiers resource library. Measure the linear inches of your tank overflow. If you type in the gal/hr of a particular pump it will tell you the corrosponding overflow length and drain size for sump return pipe. :) Scott

Katchupoy

I second the oveflow size.... it needs to be bigger capacity than the return pump. It will create un-necessary noise if you have it the other way around.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.