Quantcast

Hey Mattseattle, how do you like your new salt?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

big t

tankless
Hey Matt,

I was just wondering how you like your new Oceanic brand synthetic sea salt mix? I pretty much like mine just fine, but my tank has been thru a lot since I have made the switch, so I was wondering how you like yours? What readings did you get out of it upon intial mixing? I have yet to test mine.

NaH2O

I'm curious, too. Especially for phosphates. Tom, what kinds of issues were you having?

big t

tankless
Well Nikki, my dsb was puking up phosphates, and I had a major cyno outbreak that was terrible. Also I was having a lot of brown fuzzy algea taking over the rocks. Now the cyno has all but ceased, and the algea is receding and being overtaken by corraline once again :D

big t

tankless
Erwin, No I didn't really have any problems w/ my salt before. I was using IO. I had heard a lot of good things tho about the Oceanic salt brand and thought I would give it a try. One good thing that I can say about it is that it mixes easier. The problems that I was having were mostly related to having my DSB get saturated and not enough flow in the tank.

mattseattle

Hey Tom,

Yeah I've been really impressed with the Oceanic salt. The only issue I've noticed with it was the pH after mixing it initially and it was about 8.1. Could be my test kit as well.

Calcium comes in about 440, alk is about 3.3 (which I think it a little low), mag is about 1320, phophates are 0, nitrates are 0.

so far i've been really impressed. after mixing it in my salt tub there is no residue left. IO would leave all sorts of junk in the tub and I'd have to clean it out after each mixing.

<thumbs up>

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts