Quantcast

Hey neat, I didn't die.

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
Today I decided to remove my submerged Dolphin pump and run it external to hopefully cut down on heat. When I removed the pump I discovered the power cord for it had been worn through to the point that one wire was actually bare in the water.

When I cut the cord open to repair it I discovered corrosion up the line about 8" in each direction, so it's been soaking like that for awhile. GFCI never tripped, I'm glad I've been turning off the sump/pumps when doing maintenance.

The only thing I can think that happened was the skimmer pump was on the cord, and after a year of vibration it just wore through it, or at one point my heater burned a hole through it, hard to tell as the area was covered in calcium buildup, probably from the heat it was generating.

I moved the pump outside of the tank, plumbed it, fixed the wiring and it's output is probably double of what it was. I had noticed it wasn't pumping as much water, now I know why. :confused:

Unfortunately the pump body leaks outside of the tank, so I can't run it at all now. Wasted effort. I hate it when a plan doesn't come together.

I'll append a picture later when I download them off my camera. Pretty scary to realize when my intention was not to fix wiring but to just plumb the pump outside of the sump.

Wes.

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
Do all of the Dolphins leak when used external, or just yours? I have two Dolphins (650 and 800) that I've been planning to run externally on the tank I'm planning now. It would truly suck to have to buy all new pumps.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
You know that bare wire thing happened to me to once but with a mag 18. I found out the hard way though, lol. Glad it didnt do anything to the tank and you.

Mike

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
Do all of the Dolphins leak when used external, or just yours? I have two Dolphins (650 and 800) that I've been planning to run externally on the tank I'm planning now. It would truly suck to have to buy all new pumps.
Hopefully just mine. Mine is/was the DP800. The problem I had was the snap-on impellar housing doesn't fit tight enough and it is slowly seeping water. I would bench test yours prior to plumbing them. They really should have had a screw on housing. A total bummer being that I've passed on buying 3 used Iwaki's in the last few months because I didn't think I'd need or want an external pump, now I do, go figure.

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
Here is a pic of the cord I said I'd add.

Very interesting thing: My tank looks much nicer than it has in months. The corals are more open, the temperature is down, and everything just looks good.

I flushed out my sump and noticed something odd, I have little to no pods or bristleworms. I used to have tons of them, but now they are hard to find.

On anothe positive note, I found four fish while cleaning out my sump. I now have two more Neon Gobies, a Yellow Watchman Goby, and another Banded Goby.

esmith

AQUAMANIAC
Wes, I'm glad to hear you're alright...by the looks of that picture you're so lucky you didn't get the final jolt of your life!

I'm sure you must have had a substantial amount of current floating around in your tank, that's probably why you corals are more open now that you've removed this.

Eliyah

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
Yikes!!!

Electricity + water = danger!!!

I'm VERY glad you are fine.

I think your comment that you turned off the power prior to doing maintenance should be reitterated as well as mentioning it's a good idea to check for things like this during normal monthly preventative maintenance on your powerheads and pumps.

Hobbies should be fun....not dangerous.

NaH2O

WOW! I agree, Curt. Monthly maintenance should include checking all wiring along with the equipment....remember, too, drip loops - drip loops - drip loops.
Awesome on the fish finds!

Hobbies should be fun....not dangerous
LOL, I guess that depends on which hobbies you like to participate in, as some are dangerous and that makes them fun :D Ask my hubby - the dirt bike brings a lot of excitement for him, but makes me cringe in fear to watch.

Doug1

Good on finding the problem ,safely :)
Ah yes dirt bikes, theres a cheap, safe alternative to reefing, hope he has good insurance, my little fall cost $29K and 2 months off work, but it was a blast right up to impact ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.