Quantcast

High Iodide

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

wrightme43

Sorry man that is the only way I know of to remove iodine. What salt are you using? What is the level when it is freshly mixed, If it is at .2ppm, and you do a 25% water change with 0.00 ppm water change water it will go down of course to .15ppm, another and it will go down to .1125ppm and that is only if your water change water has 0 level of iodine. If you only do a 10% water change it can take a very long time. Did you add Iodine? HTH Steve

zulreef

wrightme43 said:
Sorry man that is the only way I know of to remove iodine. What salt are you using? What is the level when it is freshly mixed, If it is at .2ppm, and you do a 25% water change with 0.00 ppm water change water it will go down of course to .15ppm, another and it will go down to .1125ppm and that is only if your water change water has 0 level of iodine. If you only do a 10% water change it can take a very long time. Did you add Iodine? HTH Steve
Ok... I will try that and let you know. I am using coralife salt. No, I did not add iodide. I think I am going to add 5 cups of activited carbon in my 75 gallon tank. Is that too many? will that cause the iodide to be too high? How much carbon should I add?

Boomer

RF Staff
Last edited:

zulreef

wrightme43

Now after reading all that. Just to clairify what you said. Origanaly you had a reading of 0.02ppm which is low on natural seawater, and now you have a reading of .2ppm which is what? three times natural seawater levels? Is that right?

Boomer

RF Staff
thats why I asked. I thought it was .06ppm was natural

Go back and read that :D there is iodine, iodide and iodate.

Iodate is .06 as iodine and idodide is .02 as iodine....here

The two predominate forms are iodate (IO3-, with the central iodine and three attached oxygen atoms; Figure 1) and iodide (I-). As a curiosity, note the huge size of the iodine atom compared to the oxygen atoms in iodate in Figure 1. Together these two iodine species usually add up to about 0.06 ppm total iodine (~0.5 mM), but the reported values vary over about a factor of 2. In surface seawater, iodate usually is the dominant form with typical iodate values in the 0.04 to 0.06 ppm iodine (0.3 – 0.5 mM).2,3 Likewise, iodide is usually present at lower concentrations, typically 0.01 to 0.02 ppm iodine (0.07 – 0.18 mM).2,3

The test kit measures total idodine ( Iodine, Iodide and iodate) and that is 3 times. The kit should read .06, which 3 times higher than .02

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts