Quantcast

High Speed internet?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

mattseattle

I currently have Earthlink DSL for my high speed internet service. I hate their support as well as the quality of service overall.

I was wondering if anyone was using a different service that offered high speed and wasn't 50.00 or more a month like I'm paying right now. My speed are 1.5mb/128k up. I'd like to get something a little faster.

Any help is appreciated. I don't care if it's DSL, cable, Wi-Fi, etc.

szidls

Gaitor Wrestler
Hey Matt,
Try comcast cable? Not sure if ya can get it in your location but worth a try. I went from dial-up to cable. Wow what a difference. Not sure of connection speeds, but what used to take an hour to d-load now takes a min or so.
Scott:cool:

mattseattle

yeah i've had cable in the past and that is one of the solutions i'm looking at now. they keep having promotions on pricing.

i had cable internet a few years ago but i dropped all comcast stuff when i switched to directv. after dropping my tv cable comcast wanted 10.00 a more each month for my cable modem due to the fact i didn't have the tv cable part. i dropped that as well and went to earthlink dsl. that's been fine for the most part but their service and support sucks. also their pricing has increased without speed improvements.

zeltar

Proud new papa....
Try RoadRunner (owned by Time Warner). I dont know if it's available in your area but woth a shot. I just switched from Comcast because I moved. Price is the same but their CS is much better and the speed is awesome.

cookiemn

Chicago bound!!!
Matt,
you should rethink Comcast. They have upgraded their infrastructure and they offer 3M/256k.

Erwin

MarineDreamer

Est. April 2nd, 2005
A word of caution. Cable is great as long as you’re the only one using it. If perchance, you happen to live in an apartment complex where everyone subscribes to the cable service, then your speeds will drop dramatically. Basically, everyone’s using the same line that you are. I know that in the U district, some apartment complexes will have multiple lines. You’ll have to ask and see.

That being said, cable is faster than DSL.

Of course, if you want to be really ‘kewl,’ you’ll pony up the two hundred plus for the T-1, right?

Trevor :cool:

Katchupoy

How about Qwest DSL? 24.00 something on a combo deal... and 31 for regular... including ISP whish is MSN...

Go cable... very easy to share with the rest of computers...

Llarian

If you have even a little tech savvy, DSL is every bit as easy to share with multiple computers as cable. Most DSL routers have firewalling/NAT functionality built in now.

My company is an ISP, so I don't have to pay for the ISP fee, but the Qwest 1.5/768k DSL is an unbelievable deal right now. (The line is only about $28/month, and I believe with MSN as your ISP, its well below $50/month).

-Dylan

Katchupoy

That is true... But have issues with Qwest/MSN sharing routers recently... Called them... and they said that they dont do sharing...

Maybe its me... need to dig/study more...

Witfull

i hate to say it, but one way or anothewr you're gonna pay. for myself i have comcast, formerly @home and now that comcast has upped the speed to almost that as @home had, im happy!

szidls

Gaitor Wrestler
Witfull said:
i hate to say it, but one way or anothewr you're gonna pay. for myself i have comcast, formerly @home and now that comcast has upped the speed to almost that as @home had, im happy!
Yea that @home was a real cream puff of a company. The stock club I was in rode 500 shares to the bitter end.:shock:
I will say, I too like the speed of Comcast. Just wish the high speed internet monopoly would get a little more competition.
Scott

Llarian

Katchupoy said:
That is true... But have issues with Qwest/MSN sharing routers recently... Called them... and they said that they dont do sharing...

Maybe its me... need to dig/study more...
Unless they have some very very strange access lists on their edge routers, they have no say in whether you do NAT (shared connections) or not. That's completely transparent to them.

There are a couple good hardware solutions for IP NAT, linksys being the one I hear most often reccomended if your router itself doesn't support it. Its pretty much just another router with a 4-port hub you put between the DSL/cable router and the computers.

Its almost always possible to accomplish. I would recommend against the Windows Connection Sharing software, however, its horrible.

-Dylan

Scooterman

Administrator
Talk about being all wired up, I have Dish Network, Cox Basic for local channels & Cox High speed internet, don't ask me the total cost but it is cheaper than going all cable. I hear rumors of our city providing a complete package with an average of 75$ cheaper, guess we will see. Not to mention, local phone, and our Mobil phones, gheeze, I'd never think of this a few years back.

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I am using Verizon DSL. I got a package with 29.99 a month for DSL and 34 something for phone. I pay about 72 dollars a month for both.

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
I had Earthlink DSL for 3+ years, when I moved this last month I switched to Comcast because of issues with Earthlink. I'm glad I did, Comcast is 256k up 3mbit down. And the download stream stays constant, it seems with DSL it will peak at around 160k/s and then 5 or so minutes into the transfer it will settle down at another rate, anywhere from 80-140k/s. All of my downloads with comcast hold steady at 390-400k/s.

Their customer service is better than Earthlink also IMO. They respond by email, which Earthlink always took days, Comcast takes hours generally.

Earthlink really annoyed me over the years. When I joined I bought 1.5/1.5 service, it was nice until they stopped offering that service. They let me keep it since I joined from the beginning of them offering it, and let me know, but then soon they dropped it down a little and didn't tell me, then a little more, when I left their "premier" service is only 384/768. Plus like you said their price keeps going up.

Switch back to comcast for your TV too and they will give you a better price break.

mattseattle

oh i would never go back to cable for my TV. I would never give up my satellite TV especially with my DirecTivo. Picture quality and sound is much better than what I've seen on Comcast. It's also a lot cheaper. Also my TiVo has 2 tuners in it so I can watch 2 things at one time or record 2 things at one time and watch another.

As far as cable internet that is the way I'll probably go. I'd rather pay a little more each money and keep my satellite tv. ;) i know also that Earthlink offers Comcast Cable Internet under their name but Comcast still does the support for it. Weird but it's cheaper than Comcast by about 10.00

Sealab2021

Puffer
i look at it this way,

are you gonna host your own website(s) at home? if so get dsl

do you just want to surf/play games? if so get cable

& support our local dsl provider...SPEAKEASY.NET

DonW

R.I.P.
I would stay with earthlink. I had quest, what a joke. For years I used qwest.net. They dumped all their customers and forced MSN. Of course their hardware was not compatible so there goes another Cisco router in the trash.
Earthlink is PNP. I have a 4 pc wireless lynksys network with leased ip's for 45.00 per month. I've never had to actually speek to tech or anyone for that matter.

Don

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts