high temp and mag pumps

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

jks1

I recently plumbed a closed loop using 2 MAG24 pumps. I run a third MAG24 in the sump for water return to the tank. Its a 210 gal tank w/ a 75 gal sump. Sounds good right...

well I started everything up this afternoon, it has been running for 4 hours or so and the tank temp is 84F with no lights on it. When I started everything up it was about 88F. The house is about 72F. I'm assuming its the pumps generating all this heat.

Ive got a 1/5HP aquanetics chiller running which has been on continually for the 4 hours and has dropped it to 84F. Im hoping this will continue. Anybody find MAG pumps generate excessive heat?

Here's a pic of the CL

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
They sure do John. Do you have the return pump Submerged?? if so getting it out and plumbing it expternal might help alot. I would try that first.

Mike

wooddood

i just check my mag 7 that i use on my closed loop external and it's very hot to the touch. i agree with mike if you could run your return pump external it should help your heat issue.

jks1

The problem is that the sump is a 75g glass tank that is not drilled. The best I can think of is to elevate the pump in the sump- just out of the water- on a platform. Not sure though if the pump is able to suck water up a few inches into its impeller.

jks1

well I installed a 4" fan blowing across the external CL pumps. Got uo this morning and it is at 81.3. I know the chiller is undersized for this tank so maybe with a little more time it will come down a bit more. I'll need it to make up for the 1400W of MH and PC lights (3 x 400W MH, 2 x 96W PC) that are in the canopy which will go on after the rock cures.

No one said this was gonna be easy...

Latest posts