Quantcast

Hitchhiker ID.. with a suprise ;-)

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

iamjosh

Ok Ok I lied.. I know what these are but man it would be a cool hitchhiker, though I am considering getting it for my sump.

If anyone has a chance drop by Aquatic Dream and hear this thing I couldn't believe how loud this thing was it was beyond words.

Click the pics for larger pictures.
-josh

Scary Mantis

Again

Teardrop Clam

Huge Anenome

Random Stuff

Update on the Store's 450 Gallon Tank

Click Come In.. --> Projects

Last edited:

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
Don't you dare put an O.s. in a sump. Do you know how hard it is to find peacocks? I have been on two waiting different waiting lists for a peacock for months. My mantis tank has been empty for a long time.

BTW...I want you to be careful with her (dull green vs bright green means it's a female). O.s. would be one of the few species that really can break bones or glass. NO HANDS IN THE TANK!!!

I'm currently writing an article on mantis for another board. I will give you a link when I'm done.

iamjosh

Dave - Check and make sure you have your pop up blocker off, you might try holding shift and clicking the links. If anyone else is having problems let me know.

I was thinking about putting a smaller acrylic tank inside my 75 gallon sump to place the friendly little fellow. :)

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
Josh,

If you are going to get an acrylic tank, don't put it in the sump. You will want daily interaction with your mantis (trust me). I have always joked that Caspian (my cat) is secretly sending information back to his home planet because he sometimes just stares at us. Frankly, that's nothing. Mantis shrimp like to watch EVERYTHING that you do. If you don't like being stared at, don't buy him. However, if you want a critter that is just as curious about you, as you are curious about it, then go for it.

Until it gets used to you, you want to be cautious so it isn't afraid of you. For a couple of weeks, approach the tank very slowly and ALWAYS have a very small piece of food for it when you do. Here's why I say this...both Fluffy and Cuddles HATED Rachel's guts..especially Cuddles!!! (That is the vacuum cleaner incident of 2003...we don't like to talk about it LOL) They never got over it. If Rachel was in the room, they were either in their den or were putting out their meral spread. Cuddles hated my dogs (Cheyenne and Cherokee) too. They are tall enough to press their noses to the nano tank and this always results in a "whack" which you have apparently heard.

The main disadvantage of stomatopods is their lifespan. It's only 2 to 3 years max so if you get one that is half sized, you are only going to be able to keep it for 1 and a half years.

Last edited:

wrassehole

wannabe reefmaster
are mantis' reef safe? I want one, did you say break glass? they cant punch through the glass can they. are you screwin with me. i cant even do that, how the hell can he. are you saying they're stronger then me? are ya?

iamjosh

Wrassehole - Mantis are not reef safe, the bash smash kill and eat almost anything. They can move their from smashers faster the a bullet. Its amazing. There normal food would be hermits, and snails they use their smashers to bust open then shells there is some serious power behind them, they are commonly called the thumbsplitter for busting open people's thumbs and breaking fingers.

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
No....almost all species of mantis cannot break glass. However, there are a couple species who can and an O.s. (as pictured above) would be one of them.

Mantis have been turned into the Boogieman to explain deaths related to new reefkeepers. It is a lot more fun to blame a critter for unexplained deaths than admit you stocked too much, stocked to early, had bad chemistry, etc., etc., and so on. For instance, I saw this post on another board recently (paraphrasing)..."My first fish is dead but I'm pretty sure I heard a click last night. Did a mantis kill my fish?" The answer was, "yes, it sounds like you have a mantis. Get it out before it kills everything." That statement, in and of itself, tells me it WASN'T a mantis.

Here's why. If you heard a click or a pop, you MIGHT have a hitchhiker mantis. On the other hand you might have a hitchhiker pistol shrimp, or your house might be settling, or any number of possibilities. The truth is that if you heard it, it is a smasher mantis. It doesn't want fish unless it is starving to death. They will however, take out snails and hermit crabs. Spearer-type mantis can and will kill fish but they are NOT common hitchhikers because they live in the sand and not in LR. If you told me that I have just purchased a lot of LR, and I'm missing 3 snails and you heard some clicks and pops, then I might take the possibility of mantis predation seriously.

Mantis come in many, many species. Most are not dangerous to tanks or humans. I recently yanked a G. wennerae out of a tank with my hands and the owners actually backed away from it when it was suspended in mid-air. It was hilarious. I would guess he weighed 175 lbs and she easily weighed 2 and a quarter. Still, they were afraid of something that isn't big enough to register on a cheap scale. Think of it like this...you have a Chihuahua running at you and you have a St. Bernard running at you. They are both dogs and they are both growling. Which species are you going to run from?

O.s. are definately in the St. Bernard category and they can break glass when full grown so proper respect is warranted. However, I think it is time to stop killing all of these critters based on the info put on the internet.

Alice

Curt,

I'm looking forward to your article. Although mantis will probably still give me the willies....they scuttle. ;)

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
LOL...yep, they usually scuttle. However, the first time you see how fast they can swim it is quite sobering. You quickly realize that distance is absolutely no help with the bigger species.

Alice

Curt,

Did you read the articles a while back about the huge mantis they were finding in Hawaii, I believe it was? If I remember right they were over a foot long! :eek:

NaH2O

Good info, Curt!

Curtswearing said:
Think of it like this...you have a Chihuahua running at you and you have a St. Bernard running at you. They are both dogs and they are both growling. Which species are you going to run from?
Ummm.....I would actually run from the Chihuahua. The St. Bernard might lick you to death. Picturing a Chihuahua attacking me makes me imagine the movie The Holy Grail, where the rabbits were attacking the Knights.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.