Quantcast

How do you keep Zoanthids happy??

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

TomV

I got some Zoanthids (Button Polyps) exactly one week ago today and a couple, at first, had their polyps fully extended.

But that only lasted for a day or two. Since then, they have stayed as you see them here: open, but with polyps only slightly extended...

So, what can I do to get these little guys to color up and extend?

Should I buy something to feed them? What should I feed them? Should I feed them directly?

My water params are where they should be with only a slight bit of nitrates. Temp is 78 and SG is 1.025. Also, this is in my 10g Nano tank. All the other corals seem to be doing well except for these.

What can I do?

fengzhu

How does your water flow? I put mine to some weak flow area and they refused to open for one day. I put them back to middle flow area, they opened in half hour.
I have about 1200GPH flow in a 55G tank. How about yours?

Alice

Zoanthinds usually adjust to a new tank quickly, but not always. Flow is a good one to check, as is the lighting. Is your lighting significantly stronger than what it was at the LFS?

When you say you have some nitrates, how much? Alk and pH are ok?

I haven't bumped into you yet on the board, TomV, so Welcome! :)

TomV

Well, this is my 10g Nano. There is an Aquaclear 301 running in there (174gph) and Skimmer running a Maxi-Jet 1200. So, there's a LOT of flow in the tank.

I got these from a friend. The lighting in my tank is from a Coralife 96w PowerQuad.

Katchupoy

give it time to adjust.... I used to have a 4x20 watt NO bulbs and they (palythoas) are fully extended as in really nice... They said that they love light so when I bought 175 watt MH, i thought they will be happy but nope.... even after several months of adjustments .... stilll no opening... but at night they are open.

What I did.... was put them on the bottom (barebottom) of the tank and now they are happy. I notice that all buttons that are in the shade... they are bigger than the one who are exposed.

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
Zoos were the first thing to come back when my tank had a accident. I think they are bullit proof. I think they need adjust to the different light and water quality. I bet within a week you should be back to the norm. I do see a mushroom in your picture really close to them. That might irritate them?

TomV

Well, I did move the mushrooms away from them and they seem to be doing better. The one that I didn't move from it's place seems to be opening fully now. The one I moved to a higher flow area is gonna take some time to get used to it.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts