Votes: 36 35.3%
  • Needs Improvement

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • I don't like it

Votes: 5 4.9%

• Total voters

big t

tankless
So does everyone know how to get here? I think the site looks really great! BTW I couldn't log in here with the post reply deal, I had to log in on the bottom of the main page

Tom

MtnDewMan

Somebody had to find the first bug huh????

I see what you mean, gets redirected to a page not found ... have to work on that one I guess :)

Salsaking

Salsa soon in Safeway!!
Superb Job!!

Looks awesome guys! You guys did a great job! I'm proud to be a member of PSAS! Again great job guys! Looks teriffic!!:razz:

MtnDewMan

Thanks guys ... I am sure there are bugs, so hopefully they aren't too bad that you can't continue to post and have fun ...

mattseattle

Looks great.

My only criticisim is the lack of 'themes' or else i can not find out where to change it.

the font is a little big for my taste. how do i shrink it?

MtnDewMan

Thanks Guys ...

We decided not to implement multiple themes as when you go from theme to them it is very difficult to keep a consistent look throughout the whole site and it is a lot of work to maintain multiple themes to allow all parts of the site to be able to be read appropriately.

With regard to font sizes, which font is too big in your opinion? I have tried many font sizes and this one seems to work the best across different screen resolutions.

reedman

I like the new look. You may want to add a sponsors link to the navigation at the top to show a list of all sponsors. This would make it easy for us to get to their sites.

-Reed

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
Veeeery nice! Boy you were right... SURPRISE!!!! It's great other than losing my PM's :( Gosh with an ID forum like that we are gonna be overloaded in no time!! Then we'll spend our sponsor money on bigger hardware! :)

I know reef central is a grand daddy of reef forums but I see fewer and fewer topics of substance there and am grateful for our locals to this board that contribute what they do.

Thanks All!

CarlS

I'm a designer so I feel compeled to give some opinions on the design.

-The message boards/forums look fine. Colors work well and are easy to look at.

-The top navigation buttons are great funtionally but could look better button wise.

-the Home page looks way too much like Windows XP for my taste. Not that it doesn't look bad just looks too much like Windows XP.

-I like all the navigational menus on the home page. Calendar/pictures/who's on/view new messages. All really nice and makes using the site much easier.

Well that's about it from me. Hope I don't piss anyone off. I get told stuff like this everyday about my designs and it's always a bit hard to take but I'm use to it.

Anyway I'd be happy to possibly help out with some graphics if your interested. Toodles!

CarlS

MtnDewMan

I am more than happy to accept help in the button making dept ... if you can do some buttons for me, that would be great. I agree, I am not that good in button making :)

Yes, the home page does look like XP ... that's the skin I got for it. I really haven't had a chance to do much more with it that how it looks. I may consider trying to change the templates with something that looks more like the board colorations, but that will be in good time.

If you want to make different buttons that fit into certain locations on the main page, that would be of great help too.

Thanks for the feedback and offer of assistance.

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
vBulletin is cool, but from a design standpoint I have issues.

I don't like the default Windows XP skin, the Olive one would have been better if your going to make it look like windows. But I'm also oppose to making a website mimic an operating system, so either color if it looks like a OS would be a negative to me. The blue on blue on blue with blue accents is kind of blue overkill, but it does go with the whole ocean/reef theme.

The images on the top left are a good idea, but the outer glow on the text is too hard, and on a color balanced monitor like mine I can see a fat edge where all of the images end and fade out to the right.

The buttons are kind of odd. Having anti-aliased text with non-aa text on a forum always looks weird unless the buttons are really fancy or shiny. I could make some more candy-looking buttons if nobody else is already doing so.

I think I'm just more critical of the details. When you've done it for a living and had customers whine about the most trivial of detail you tend to pick up on the little errors more. I'm not hammering on the site, those are just some little things I see.

Good work on getting it switched over without losing anything BTW. It seems to be running smooth now.

Wes

MtnDewMan

Tough crowd at times :confused:

Those buttons are going to change, I have someone working on some new ones.

The glow around the logo letters seem smooth on my screen both at home and work. When you say color balanced monitor I am not quite sure what you mean, do you have some high tech high end monitor? I agree, some of the images aren't perfect, but hey, I am an engineer and a reefer :)

Thanks for the input, over time I am sure things will evolve more.

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
Sorry, I'm not trying to hammer on you or the work you put in, just giving you an honest, and I guess slightly more critical opinion. It doesn't look bad I'm not saying that at all, I am just really used to being critical about the little stuff in my circle of designers.

What I meant about the glow around the letters is the amount of spread there is away from them prior to it fading out - if you like how it looks then it is fine, and it works quite well...hrm. I'll just take my foot out of my mouth now. :)

Color balanced isn't the right term I guess, calibrated, or properly setup is probably more it. If the color, contrast, and brightness is not setup right on your monitor you see black prior to it actually becoming black. Like in HTML color you may see #333333 and #000000 as being really close. On all of my displays I can clearly read #333333 text on a #000000 background. So if your working in a program like Photoshop, or Paint Shop and in your color pallete you just click over to what looks black to you for your background color and fade into it what you might be doing is fading into a non-black color, so when the image is fading into a html true-black background you get a real obvious line that isn't noticable on probably 80% of the default setup monitors out there, but is clear as day on something like this. By default most monitors come out of the box kind of off as each video card or driver set can somewhat alter how the monitor displays the image.

http://www.epaperpress.com/monitorcal/index.html This link can help you calibrate a monitor if your interested.

I am also not saying it has to be perfect, nor am I saying it has to be the way I would want it, I was just saying why or what I did not like instead of just saying "Egads it looks like XP!" and moving on.

Wes

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts