• Conductivity Probe

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Taste Test

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NaH2O

I want to know what device you use to measure your specific gravity and/or salinity. Are you happy with what you use?

Swing Arm Hydrometer users: Do you perform any maintenance on your hydrometer? (i.e. Rinse in RO/DI water and/or soak in vinegar once a month or so)

Refractometer users: How often do you recalibrate your refractometer?

Conductivity Probe and Floating Hydrometer users: Do you have to do anything to maintain them?

Taste Testers: How do you know the taste is right? Any side effects?

Montanarocknreefer

New Sheriff In Town
Hey Nikki! I wash the hydrometer with RO/DI water after every use.

Just got a refracometer and have not used it yet!:)

I am sure I will be very happy with the refracometer over the swing arm soon!:D

esmith

AQUAMANIAC
Used to use a hydrometer, and did wash it out with RO after each use. For the last ~2 months I have had a refractometer, and it works great. Makes me feel a bit more comfortable now that I can really see what level my water is at, although the hydrometer was only off ~.003. I have yet to recalibrate it (I forgot about doing that once in a while), but everything in the tank seems happy so I'm sure it's still dialed in.

Eliyah

DonW

R.I.P.
I have a swing arm that I keep clean with ro water. I check it against my refracto every so often. I stopped taste testing when I got ich. Someday I'll get a uv sterilizer and go back to taste testing.:razz:

Don

mattseattle

yeah I was using a Swing Arm for the first 6 months I had the tank. I didn't know there was anything else out there till I read about a Refractometer. Well I just bought one a few months back. I calibrated it then and I check it about once a month to make sure it's still accurate. I use my Swing Arm for quick testing. It's only off for about .001 and I know that now so I compensate for it. I rinse it out with RO water after every use.

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
I use a refractometer that I got about 2 months ago. I calibrate it every month. Used to use the swing arm and I cleaned it out with vinegar once every 2 weeks.

pro_builder

Nikki,
I use a refractometer. I test calibration every other month, but have never had to change it, yet.
I always rinse it off with RO/DI water when I am done using it.
Hope this helps.

TDEVIL

for now i use a swing arm hyd. but the refractometer is coming ;)

i rinse it out after every use, in tap water, then i taste it ;)

Jay

big t

tankless
I use a swing arm. I have never tested it against a refractometer, and I never rinse it off. I am a rebel.

Actually I am planning on getting a refrac really soon. hehe

Beeba

I use a swing arm hydrometer and rinse it after each use. I usually have to tap it after it fills to get the bubbles off the arm. Does anyone feel that they are getting significantly different readings after switching to a refractometer?

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
I use a refractometer but use a swing arm for quick checks. I rinse out my swing arm with tap water or RO/DI water.

I have read that it is a good idea to store the swing arms in a ziplock bag in between uses but I haven't done that in the past. However, I'm seriously considering making this change in my preventative maintenance routine.

Hooked

You really can't just taste it.

You have to drink a whole pint to be sure. Start with a siphon in the main tank to acquire the proper taste.

Illusion

I use a refractometer and only calibrate it if my levels vary from what they normally are.. So far in the last six months I have not had to calibrate it at all. At the time of this posting i tested with Ro/Di water at it still reads correctly..

James

Drummer

I've calculated my body weight to specific gravity ratio and now if I float without touching the bottom, I'm right on the money !

When that doesn't work, I use the trusty refractometer.

NaH2O

LOL Scott....you'll love that refractometer from premium aquatics. I have it, too. It has been very accurate in testing the air quality of my dry tank :D

class clown

refractometer all the way baby! I think it was worth every penny. I broke about 3 of the floating arm things before investing in mine. i got it off ebay for $50 or so and have been really happy with it overall.

KrautBurner

too "edgy" for this place
"Swing Arm Hydrometer"

but I also regularly (once every other week) backup my testing by taking water samples to my LFS (they test for free, and provide RO/DI water too)

my Hydrometer seems fairly accurate with my LFS's Refractometer
same with my test kit (my test kit shows slightly higher Nitrates than the LFS)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.