Quantcast

how do you? - placement of live rock

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

mattseattle

i've read differing success stories on the placement of live rock.

1. Place the live rock directly on the sand bed but push it in firmly so it doesn't shuffle
2. Place the live rock on the bottom and place sand around it and build up from there.
3. Use PVC pipe to raise it up off the sand bed and use that as a support

Is option #1 a huge problem over time? I currently just have my live rock firmly pressed into the sand. How do you guys recommend doing it?

Matt

Gordo

I went with option #1 and nothing has shifted at all. I made sure that the rocks on the base were pushed as far do to the bottom as possible. I also don't have an inhabitants that sift or burrow in the sand.

~Gordo~

Alice

I've done 1, 2 and 3, lol. You do get a bit more stability with option 2 but I never had problems with either of those methods. Option 3 is handy for detritus removal if you aren't using a DSB or if you want to have burrowing critters in a DSB like jawfish or pistol shrimp. Keeps them from getting caught in a cave in and your rock work from toppling.

Aquascaping is one of my least favorite things-I always think I can come up with a better arrangement and keep fiddling with it until I drive myself crazy! ;)

Alice

mattseattle

well i read one posting on reefcentral regarding 'deadzones' when placing your live rock directly on the sand bed. that was my main concern - not really shifting or anything. after i read the posting i looked at my aquascaping and i really don't have alot of 'totally' covered areas on my sand bed. i've placed smaller rocks on the bottom and also curved rocks towards the bottom that allow good placement and not alot of sand coverage. the bottom rocks i did push pretty deep by putting alot of body weight on them while wiggling down into the sand.

like i said my main concern after i read that post was that it was going to cause huge problems in the future but if you've guys have done it then i'm not going to lose sleep :) because the last thing i want to do is having to break my tank down again and put in pvc and all to raise it up off the sand. ugh!

alice - i liked your post. i actually liked aquascaping but i fiddled with mine for several weeks when i first set up the tank to get it how i liked it and of course i would buy additional pieces of live rock and then have to redo the whole damn thing.

SlowBoat

I have tried options 1 and 3. My first tank was rock directly on the sand and I never had any problems over a 2 year time frame before I broke the tank down. When I took the rock out there was some clumping of sand around the rock.

The 180 is using cut sections of PVC to support the rock work up off the sand to make sure I have water flowing withing the rock. 7 months later and everything is still standing.

Elmo18

Clownfish
I used Method 1 and a sub Method 3. Method 1 is of course easiest and non hassle. Unless you have burrowing gobies, etc etc.

In my 75 gallon, i used short PVC piping and silicone'd that to the bottom, and drilled holes in them. I use them as a raiser, but mroe importantly in case somethign does shift my rocks, the PVC's are there to prevent that. I do have the sand touching the base of rocks however, so that'st he only difference.

I think it really doesn't matter how you place your rocks, justa s long as you have good circulation through them, and they are stable.

- Elmo :)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts