Quantcast

How long should I leave my lights on for?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Krish

RF STAFF
Well, I finally got my Corallife Powercompacts ( 48 inch 2x65 10,000k and 2x65 blue actinics) which is in my canopy on my 90 gal tank. I was wondering how long and in which order should I use the lights. I was thinking on running my blue actinics in the morning for about 2 hours by themselves, then having my 10,000k's come on for about 8 hours (with the blue actinics) and then shutting off the 10,000k's and just letting the blue actinics run for another 2 hours by themselves. Just a thought...What's your opinions. Oh, and by the way, I have 110 lbs of live fiji rock and no corals yet, but soon i'll add some gradually. Thanks.

Angelscrx

Import Fish
Welcome to the board! I think most people recommend 8-10 hours of light time.

I have 2 actinics and four PCs on my 55g. I have the actinics and one set of PCs come on first then the second set of PCs come on 1.5 hours later and then the reverse to turn off.

wrightme43

Sounds good. Maybe a little shorter if you will. I usually only give my atinics a hr on both sides of the white. Yours may work better. Steve

DonW

R.I.P.
Since you have the luxury of living in the Bahama's, why dont you match you own photoperiod. I would assume alot of the coral that you will be getting are collected some what local to you. I would make it summer year round. The only thing I do different is moving my "acrylic cloud". I have a 1.5" black acrlic rod that I roll around randomly on top of the tank to create a man made shadow/cloud. This really gets the coraline growingfor some reason.

Don

Angelscrx

Import Fish
DonW said:
Since you have the luxury of living in the Bahama's, why dont you match you own photoperiod. I would assume alot of the coral that you will be getting are collected some what local to you. I would make it summer year round. The only thing I do different is moving my "acrylic cloud". I have a 1.5" black acrlic rod that I roll around randomly on top of the tank to create a man made shadow/cloud. This really gets the coraline growingfor some reason.

Don
That sounds like a neat idea. Do you have a pic of it? I have heard of folks changing photo periods by season and or according to weather conditions. very high tech stuff though.

DonW

R.I.P.
Angelscrx said:
That sounds like a neat idea. Do you have a pic of it? I have heard of folks changing photo periods by season and or according to weather conditions. very high tech stuff though.
I guess I could take a picture of it. Its just a black rod. You could use a chunk of pvc pipe, anthing would work. It just tones down the halides with a shadow in a small area.

Don

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts