Quantcast

How to attach Mushroom Leather

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

reefer

I have a good size Mushroom Leather that is attached to a sliver of a rock. I would like to attach him to a larger rock so I can set it somewhere other than in the sand like it is now. I had it wedged into the rock earlier but the sliver of rock its on keeps fracturing when it droops over when the lights go off. Can I cut it off close to the base and use a needle and thread through the base to sew it to a larger rock? Please suggest what is the correct way to handle this. I'm thinking it is not good for his base being in the sand like it is now. I want the versitility to put it at any place on the rockscape. If thread and needle is the way to do it What kind of thread and can you remove the thread after it's attached it's self?

Last edited:

MCSInc

Reef Enthusiast
Leather out grew frag.

I had a toadstool that out grew its frag and also was fairly tall. When I got home from the Anthony Calfo meeting I got out the sharp knife and cut it down to the size I wanted it. Basically I cut off 1/3 of the stalk leaving 2/3s of the stalk with the head. I already had silk needles and the finest fishing line available in my supplies. Then I "sewed" the large portion to a really nice size rock. I bonded in a few days and almost 2 months later I still have not taken out the sutures. Just haven't gotten back to it.

Then I took the bottom 1/3 and split it length wise in quarters leaving all 4 quarters attatched to the original small frag. Finally I did not want the 4 sections to heal back together so I stuffed a med piece of gravel down the center of the 4 quarters to hold them appart. It took about 3 weeks for them to start getting heads. Not near as fast as using face material. During that three weeks I kept them reasonably clean by holding them in front of the power head a few times to "rinse them clean". I have clipped and traded the little quarter heads by just taking the top chunk off and netting it to a new rock and will get probably 8 or more new frags from the one base piece.

Please note that no one recommended doing the above step, I am just an experimentor and it worked very well for me.

BUT...... if you want to be the kinder more gentle leather owner then I would super glue (with jel) the frag he is on to the rock that he should be on and as he grows he will spread onto the bigger rock and completely swallow the little frag.

Best of luck to you.

reefer

Very interesting MCSinc. I'm a bit of an experimentor myself. Time is on my side for everything to grow back. I hate to chance the mother colony but what you have explained sounds really neat.

I was out of town for the Anthony Calofero meeting and really wish I could have attended that one. Everyone I've talked to thought it was really good. I'm going to try to make the next meeting one way or the other.

Mjy

Toadstool / umbrella leathers will attach to whatever they are touching, anywhere on their stalk. Whenever I want to move mine I have to literally rip it off the rocks it is touching. The mother colony is still huge, the daughter is half that size and I have about five little 1-2 inch sprouts that are doing fine, that came from all the spots that the mother was touching a rock.
Basically, you can do whatever you want with them and within a month, you've got babies.

Darrell

i have seen Candys experiment and it worked great i have a large toad stool as well and plan on slicing and dicing it as well as it is starting to out grown my tank any one want some??
Darrell

MzWeazelle

I'd love to take a piece off your hands if end up with one to spare. Hope your efforts succeed regardless!

MzWeazelle

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts