Quantcast

How to catch a lg tang in a reef

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Darrell

im trying to catch a large Yellow Tang but he dogdes and weaves all throught the rock, i dont want to tear up my reef but the guy has to go i cant put any other fish in the tank he attackes it , any suggestions would help

DonW

R.I.P.
Fish trap! I use plastic drink bottles. A big tang needs a 2l coke bottle. Cut the top off about a third of the way down. Then cut the cap opening larger (big enought for a Tang). Invert the top and stick it in the bottom. If it fits tight thats it, if not super glue it. Bait it and sink it. fish goes in but is not smart enough to get out. Works great. Does take time for the fish to get used to it being in the tank. I cought my sail fin in about three hours for hospitalization.

Don

Alice

Yup, fish trap will probably work best. If not, take a pic of your tank before you start pulling rocks out so you can see how you had it before (I never get it right.)

Then again, there are those tiny barb-less hooks....

Good Luck!

Dr B

When I had to catch my Juvenile tang in my 120 I trapped her in a corner.

I went to home depot and bought some plexiglass and had them cut it to my measurements.
I then put the plexi glass up at my right front corner. I made sure that the bottom of the plexi was even with the sides, and then let the top lean back and rest on the rockwork.
(puting it in a corner makes a triangle trap... get it?)

I put a nori clip in the corner, the tang started munching and as she was munching grabbed the top of the plexi and moved it flush with the sides of the tank. This made a small triangle area where I was able to catch her.
I didnt wanna buy/make a sophisticated trap.
Hope this helps

TDEVIL

when i had a N trigger and he was healthy enough to go to the LFS, i just fed the tank w/ the net in there and when he came out i just snatched him up, this is the way i have cought my chichlids for years, maybe its just me;)

TD

Darrell

thanks for all the ideas i got some more Q? too so look for my post im on a learning curve now LOL
Darrell

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.