Quantcast

HQI light question

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

MINIATUS

Iwas wondering if 2-150 HQI lamps with 2-110watt VHOs would be enough lighting for a 4ft 75 gal tank. I have everything for this ballast fixturesbut the lamps are not ordered yet. If they are good what kelvin should I use. the one VHO bulb will be a URI super Actinic and the other a actinic white.
Your opinion would be appreciated.

MINIATUS:confused:

Scooterman

Administrator
I see no reason why this wouldn't work well, what are you planning on keeping? SPS would probably require a little more power but if your careful in your pickings you probably can keep just about anything, looking at individual needs for the corals you plan on keeping would help determine what is needed, a good book on corals can be very helpful, also Mike has posted some good reference links on corals and their needs, based on this you can use what you have and keep a large range of corals.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=19

As far as K, that can go from very personal to large discussions. With the VHO bulbs your planning to use, you will get lots of the bluish colors, so a good 10k MH would make a nice blend, IMO!

MINIATUS

I hope to keep a few SPSs but will check for there light requirements. Mostly LPS and a few softies. I hope to have clam in the future also. If I went to 250 watt lamps would the VHOs still be required.

MINIATUS:confused:

fishermann

I have a 75 with 2 hqi 250's with 2 pc's. With 150's i think your reef would have to be pretty high in the tank. Your hqi balast well overdrive the bulbs which well be a help, I would use a quality bulb too like ushio or xm's.

Scooterman

Administrator
Yea A little key placement like fisher said up high and lower for the rest of your softies etc, I wouldn't go out and buy new ballast if you already have the equipment unless your serious about keeping lots of sps, it would have to be weighed as to how much is it worth to you at that cost. Just some thoughts.

MINIATUS

Actually the ballast for the 250 is cheaper by 8 bucks each. The fixtures will hold the 250s also. From what Im gathering the bulbs are cheaper too, whys that,I wonder.

MINIATUS:idea:

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.