Quantcast

I am a total idiot when it comes to plumbing

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

deadrose

:oops:

So, this is my little 25 gallon Tru-Vu, as it came to me used.

I see the overflow to the right, and the center is where the wet/dry is supposed to go (were I using one). Now, how do I do the return hole on the left? Do I use a pump? A powerhead? Bulkhead fittings?

I'm really not this stupid on most things, but the plumbing part just confuses me.

I could also really use help figuring out what sort of water flow I should be looking for or what size pump/powerhead... and is that going to provide enough circulation, even in that small a tank, or should I mount other powerheads?

Please feel free to ask my any pertinent questions, and I apologize for the perspective horrors in the drawing :)

Thanks in advance,
Heidi, whose brain seems to be plumbing-proof past changing washers on a sink

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
No problem Heidi thats what we are here for. Everybody helps everybody.
OK by looking at the drawing the water enters the sump on the right side and exits on the left so a small mag drive pump should work fine. Say a mag 7??. Ok then the water goes up tubing and spilts inot 2 returns (if I am seeing the 2 small holes right one either side).so you will need a wye fitting to spilt the pipe. at the holes you will need to get 2 bulkheads one for either side. The on the inside of the tank you can attach locline (an adjustable pipe to the same Bulkheads. You might need maybe one PH to create a little more flow inside the tank itself.

Keep the questions coming till we get it right.

Mike

deadrose

There's only one hole returning from the sump. The 2 holes are on the top of the tank, like so:

although I'm sure I could use them for circulation or something. The one actually returning from the sump is about 1" from the top of the tank on the back wall between the tank and sump.

Sorry my drawing's not as clear as it could be.

Heidi

MtnDewMan

hmmmm

Looks to me like the two holes on the tank are the overflow and return for the tank? that will maintain the water level in the tank? Then the overflow to the sump is something separate. Is the overflow section higher than the hole leaving the sump? If so, it may be as simple as not requiring a pump in there. It will rely on the higher water line of the overflow slots to the outlet location to force the water in and out. If they are about the same level, then I agree, that a small pump would do okay to get the water flowing, like a mag 5 or a mag 7

What levels are the inlet and outlet on that sump/refugium? A photo would really come in handy :)

deadrose

Wish I could just take a photo of it. Okay, the righthand compartment of the sump/fuge has the overflow from the tank, notches cut through the wall from the top/just below the lid. They're an inch long. When this compartment fills, it spills *over* into:

The middle compartment, I realize, also has overflow notches of some sort, but they are only about 5/16" long. There are 2 sets of ledges in the middle compartment, and one drip tray that fits into it. At the bottom of this is the cut that allows the water to flow *under* into:

The left compartment has a 1 1/8" diameter hole, located 1" down from the top of the wall. This, I assume, returns the water to the tank.

The 2 round holes in the top of the display tank are the same size as the return hole, 1 1/8" ID.

Am I making more sense now? :)

Heidi

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.